Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 04:03 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

OK, maybe I belong in the remedial class but are you guys all saying that with only the addition of the Xied we can either add a high performance air cleaner, or a set of slipons, or both with no other modification? Add we can do this with no adverse affect to our motors? Because it sounds too good to be true and you know how those stories end.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-05-2008 | 04:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Badfinger,

Here's some info I got from Steve the inventor of the IED/XIED.

The simple truth is that the open loop AFR values in the HD ECM are mostly in the 13.5 to 12.5 range. Even with the improvement if exhaust flow and air cleaner flow, these AFR's are not going to go below 13.8 to 12.8 (or about .3 leaner). I've already seen data from Andy that verifies this. So there is no way the engine ever goes to lean to hurt itself. If you check recommend AFR from experts with more credibility than me, you find their recommendations generally are as follows:[/align]13.5:1 AFR produces the best torque[/align]12.5:1 AFR produces the best HP[/align][/align]So this means to maximize power output in any engine, your mid range AFR should be 13.5 through the torque peak, then you richen the mixture gradually to 12.5:1 at the max HP RPM. So any AFR between these two ranges is quite adequate for street work.[/align]So the basic facts are:[/align]-The IED/XiED have proven to be a reliable, low cost way to improve the closed loop AFR.[/align]-Richer closed loop AFR's in the 14.2 to 13.8:1 AFR range provide a variety of benefits such as: Lower engine/exhaust temp, smoother idle, better acceleration, reduced/eliminate engine ping, etc.[/align]-The average rider spends 95-98+% of their time in the closed loop mode, so only 2-5% of the time does the engine every enter open loop. And even if it enters open loop, the time frame is less than 10-15 seconds.[/align]-Harley-Davidson has already documented that the Open Loop ECM settings will support 7-11% more HP. This is with no remapping. This shows that the Wide Open ThrottleOEM fuel map is plenty rich.[/align]-The HD Stage 1 map isprimarily a change to the rev limit of the engine and an update to the VE values of the ECM. Changesto AFR values are pretty much prevented by EPA regulations. SotheStage 1should restore a true 12.5 WOT AFR.But the OEM fuel map in the same circumstances isin the 13.0 to 12.8 range. The difference in powerwill only be seen on a dyno.[/align]-Riders who did the Stage 1 download pretty much agree that they saw little or no improvement in theirdaily riding experience. When they installed the IED or XiED, they saw significant differences.[/align][/align]So those are the majorFACTS.[/align][/align]Ask riders who installed the Stage 1 download or those with V&H Fuel Pak (a close analogy of the HD Stage 1) before adding the IED/XiED which had the most favorable impact on their riding. Ask if they had to give up Stage 1/FP or the IED/XIED, which one they would keep. I strongly suspect you'll find they all would keep the IED/XIED.[/align][/align][font=arial][color=#0000ff][size=2]Riders are being forced into purchasing Stage 1 upgrades by theirDealersunder the threat of "loss of warranty" if they upgrade exhaust/ac. The closed loop range and H-Down comments already show that you do not

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:14 PM
wmw
Novice

Is the Delphi ecu still operating as a closed-loop system if you are installing a simulated voltage?
How would it take away fuel with a simulated fixed voltage?

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:39 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Thanks Cruiser and others, you guys have done an outstanding service for your fellow readers and I'm one of many whom I'm surereally appreciate it! You guys have put an extraordinary amount of your time and money in the investigating products, developing tests, and proving your work. This is and excellent piece of, the best I've seen on any forum, andthe most comprehensive.

Thanks again,

Jim

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:48 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

WMW,

Yes, the Delphi system is still operating as a closed loop system. The problem has always beentheclosed loop portion that runs too lean. Why would we want to take away fuel and make it leaner? The IED/XIED add fuel to attain their targeted AFR's. The IED is set for 14.2, while the XIED is set for 13.8. Both richer settings than the original stock setting of 14.7.

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:59 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Badfinger,

Your welcome Jim. I just want to point out that I am just like you, a Rider of HD's and a member of this forum. I have no affiliation or work for nightrider. I have done this and continue to do it because like so many I was one of the many who was confused and wasting good money on things that don't work. Or buying things that were overkill.

I think most riders just want to have a good running Bike. Not a precision built racing machine, but rather just a good running Bike they can depend on. I'm not saying that a lot of the other devices won't work, but why buy the whole Cow when all you need is a little Milk.

I think some people look at these devices the IED/XIED and keep looking because they can't believe that a product that costs so little can do so much. So with everyones help I have tried to show people that they do in fact work very well.

Again Thanks Jim,

Dave

Old 05-05-2008 | 06:29 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

Got them today (XIEDs), and 20 minutes later they were on. Rear under the seat, and front under the voltage regulator for the Fat Bob. I'll post my review in a couple days. Riding up to PA tomorrow and we'll see how they do.

Watie

Old 05-05-2008 | 06:56 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Looking forward to your impressions and revue. Ride Safe.

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:33 PM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser

Received XIED's on Saturday, immediate improvement. I was able to shiftinto 6th at 65 mph and passed a truck without down shifting. Initially the low speed surging was so bad that I thought my front brake might be dragging but the XIED's cured it, there is no surging at all now. I just got back from a 70 mile ride, 71 degrees out and I have got to tell you, it is like a different bike. As far as the heat is concerned, well, who cares. I won't be buying a temperature gage, the bike runs great and I am happy with it, "finally"!!! I did take the fuel pak off when I got back today, I want to see how it runs the next couple of days without it.
Steve, Cruiser, Rider57and everyone else that have contributed to this thread......Thank You!

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:41 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

Okay, Here is my review. Now you have to remember that I have been runnnig a PCIII usb for some time now with an advanced map. My XIED's shopwed up today so off to the garage to put them on. I removed my PCIII and O2 eliminators and installed the XIED's in to time flat. After getting everything tucked away nice and neat, I started the bike up. The idle seemed a lot more harsh but still smooth. I belive this is due to my PCIII having the timing advanced at0% throttlewhich seems to refine the tourqe pulses. On with my helmet and out into the 80 degree weather, the first thing I noticed wasit seemed to have a flat spot in about second gear at around 25mph. Not bad though, but it was still there. Through town I went for about 2 miles before I hit open road. I did notice more decel pop with the XIED's over the PCIII. Again I believe this is due to the advanced timing at 0% throttle. Once out on open road I quicky ran my bike up to 65mph in 5 gear and held it there for about 5 to 6 miles. My bike was very responsive in the cruise range and noticed no flat spots in that area. I then went through some back country roads for another 10 miles with speeds between 35 and 50 mph. At the lower speeds I felt the flat spot again. At this time I swithced my attention to engine heat. I could feel no diffence in engine between the XIED's or the PCIII. If there was any at all I would say the PCIII was a little cooler. Was it cooler eneough to justify the price of a PCIII? No. On back into town I went for another 10 miles of HWY riding to 70 to 80mph in 6th gear. My Road King ran good and strong with no signs of struggling to run. Once in town I was back down to 25 and 35mph speed limits where I noticed the flat spots again and more decel poping.
[ul][*]My over all review of the XIED's- They preform as should and do exactly what all the post have claimed. Motor runs stonger and cooler.[*]Do they replace an advanced tuner? - No. With the capability to controlling timing and independent mixture between each jug there is no comparison. It may take more time to dial in, but I have a tendancy to make things as best they can be. Compulsive behavior.[*]If your happy with your bikes current performance, want it to be a whole lot better than stock, with an AC and slipons,but dont want to break the bank- XIED's are the way to go. Plug and play and forget they are there.[/ul]

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test