Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 10:36 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

No, thats a static air, 2 gas, rdyno run.
Same bike, different test.
It shows the detected AFR as a monitoring or test station would. I will post it in the morning from the lab as it is still in the system.

Old 05-01-2008 | 11:45 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Thanks Rider

BTW... I took the scooter out with the XIED's tonight. WOW is right. Did it ever move.

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:18 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Do you guys think that running with cooler plugs would help also ?
Somewhere I got these plug names and types.

Spark Plugs
cooler
NGK DCPR8E
NGK DCPR8EIX
Autolite 4163

Mike

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:56 AM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

Well, after reading all the new posts everything is clear as mud. I hope you guys don't mind but I am going to ask for some more advice that may not be directly related to the IED's. Hopefully this will help anyone who may have similar questions.

Judging by what CKinAZ posted:

1. Would I be better off just getting the down load from HD, completely elimnate the fuel pack and then install the XEID's? ( my goal good running bike with little hard ware to affect warranty )

2. If I get the HD down load will that replace the need for the Fuel Pack?

3. Put the stock A/C and filter back on. Remove the fuel pack. Install the XIED's and leave the rush slip ons on and run like that?

Sorry for all the questions but have been on this goose chase for about 6 months now.
Thanks in advance to all of you who can give me some insight.

Later,
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/686C75B304A6493490B1D2829564D8AD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2008 | 07:40 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mikeurig

Do you guys think that running with cooler plugs would help also ?
Somewhere I got these plug names and types.

Spark Plugs
cooler
NGK DCPR8E
NGK DCPR8EIX
Autolite 4163

Mike
I run stock plugs.

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:52 AM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

I recieved and installed my XIEds a couple of days ago. Was finally able to take it out yesterday, so I thought I would post my conclusions. Previously I was running a Powercommander III, K&N stage I air filter and D&D Fat Cat. This is my forth exhuast. Tried Cycle shack slip ons, Rinehart 2 - 1, Screamin Eagle slip ons, and finally the D&D. I did not get a dyno tune on any of the exhausts. All of the exhausts never felt smooth (the only word I can think of) I always tried the canned maps. The Screamin Eagle slip ons with the canned map for that slip on felt the best, but I noticed it really ran rich. Noticed blacksoot in the rear of the front cylinder muffler after only a couple hundred miles. Drove me crazy as I was driving, always wondering if I could find a better map. I know a dyno tune could have taken care of this, but I did not want to spend another $300 for that and have them running it to red line for hours.

So, I pulled out the PC and left the K&N on. First thing I noticed was it started right away instead of the usual 5 or 6 turns before it would start (due to the PC). I did notice it idled alittle higher even after it warmed up, but that did not bother me. As I drove I noticed alittle low end increase with the XIEDs. Mid range was about the same, but I think the PC may have had alittle more power. I generally do all my riding in this range. I did intentionally open the throttle a few times and there was no difference in power between the PC and the stock ecm in open loop.The one thing I noticed rightaway was the bike ran smoother with the XIEDs.As I wasriding I thought of the word crisper, as someone else describe it. I'm sure this was because the AFR was more consistent than with the PC with a canned map. The bike also felt real good on the freeway. Just alittle gas and I could go from 70mph to 80mph in seconds. I used this example because the canned map I got from Fuel Moto was real flat when accelerating from 70 to 80.

I did notice that the bike ran alittle hotter than with the PC. I do not have a thermometer, so I don't know for sure, but it did feel warmer. I pulled the plugs and with the PC my plugs were light brown/dark tan, after riding yesterday they were light grey/white. I'm not sure if they were grey or white, which makes me nervous. I'm guessing it is because of the K&N. So, this morning I switching back to the stock air box. Hopefully I can get out this morning before it rains to see the difference.After I do I will post my results. LaterJ.B.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:02 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Here's the test I said I would post.
The test reveals no gain in AFR or HP.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:05 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

The above test was done at the emissions lab and is an EPA compliance investigation lab.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:54 AM
RaisenCain
Stage IV

I see your attachment.
It was mike personal bike that was tested. As I was there before I had the SE1 system installed and then took it back to see the difference.
I thought I should have more horsepower and a better running bike after the SE1 system was installed but it made no difference at all.
It had a better harley sound but that was about all. Heat was the same, throttle was the same.
The only change was when Andy let me use his ieds 1st and then the xied. Both were better than the SE1 and the xied was the best result.
This is my 4th harley and I have not tried anything but the things that harley sold. When I think of all that money-i could have paid cash for this bike or real close to it.
I will never put any download from harley in any harley i have again. I dont believe in them anymore and think it is just sales that they want or need.

Old 05-02-2008 | 11:33 AM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

I took the bike out this morning with the stock a/f, XIEDs and D&D Fat Cat. The only difference I could tell was a minor difference in throttle response, but not enough to make any difference. The low end seemed the same, possibly some difference in the mid range, but nothing alittle extra twist couldn't solve. My Fat Cat still sounded great with the stock air box and the roll on was still great on the freeway. The bike seemed to be a bit cooler and when I checked the plugs they were a light tan.

My final conclusion:My bike seems to run best with XIEDs, stock airbox and the Fat Cat. After 8 months of chasing my tail trying to get the bike to run right, it is now there. If you're not going to do any other engine mods other than exhaust andA/F. Save your money and get the XIEDs or IEDs, and get whatever exhaust you like. You won't be disappointed. If you want the aftermarket fuel management then you're going to have to spend the extra money and get it dyno-tuned, otherwise you may not be happy with the results. I may look into theK&N filter to go in my stock airbox and see how the engine responds with alittle bit more air, but I do believe that will be the extent of my mods..........

Thanks to everyones' input in this thread, instead of running OK, my bike runs great now!!!!!!!
J.B.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test