Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:04 PM
diebolt
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Mike

The 08Touring Model Owners Manual says the plug gap is .038 -.043

Old 05-01-2008 | 03:39 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Thanks.......guess I'll have my own manual IF MY #$%^&! BIKE WILL EVER GET HERE!!!!....O.K. I feel better now!

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:00 PM
Tirpitz
Cruiser

Cruiser, has anyone been following you on another bike and said anything about the exhaust on your bike being strong (gas smell) with the IED's or the XIED's? Igot the IED's sitting on the countertop, just havenot had time to put them on and then I ordered theXIED's and they have not been shipped as of yet.

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:08 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

I gap at .042, seems to burn the 13.8:1 mix a little better.
If someone behind you can smell gas, regap your plugs first before becoming a rocket scientist. I know!

Old 05-01-2008 | 05:10 PM
tatt2zzz
Advanced

I ordered the XiED's on Monday and expect them to arrive shortly. My questions is has anyone taken pictures on the install for an 08 ultra?

Old 05-01-2008 | 05:37 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Ybnormal67

Please forgive me for asking what might be another dumb question but I am a little confused after reading all the posts.

From what I gather the Fuel Pack is useless in my application. Am I right in concluding that I am basically running the Rush with SE A/C ( no download ) just on the stock ECM above idle? If so is this a concern or can the stock ECM handle the AF ratio with the higher flow throught the engine?

Is the HD download really worth the money? I am thinking IED or XIED's, remove the fuel packand leave the A/C and slipons where they are. Anyone see any issues with that?

Sorry that was more than 1 question. Just trying to get some input from those who have first hand experince with the testing and experimenting.....

Thanks for the help,

Joe
I've said this before in this thread and the question keeps popping up so I am going to elaborate a bit. The question is: Is the HD Stage 1 download worth it if you have both a high flow air cleaner and exhaust if you're running XIED/IED's?

First, everyone has to remember that the stock map is designed to get specific afr's in both open and closed loop modes on bikes with STOCK intakes/exhaust. I have read closed loop to be about 14.6:1 and open to be (sources vary here) 12:1 - 13.8:1. I have personally seen full throttle dyno runs show afr's of about 13.8:1 with a stock bike.

SECOND, IF YOU HAVE THE STOCK MAP AND RUN HIGH FLOW INTAKE AND EXHAUST, YOU WILL BE RUNNING LEANER IN OPEN LOOP MODES THAN A PROPERLY TUNED MOTOR SHOULD RUN!!! The XIED/IED's do NOT richen the mixture in open loop (once you are above 50% throttle or 4000 rpm). This is the whole point of the HD Stage 1 download (or a Fuelpak for that matter) - to make the afr's correct for intake/exhaust mods done when running open loop.

The XIED/IED's are ONLY going to richen up closed loop, which is fine for 90% of our riding, but the BIG problem I have with any recommendations to the effect that you can run the XIED/IED's with intake/exhaust mods and without any other ECM changes and have a correctly running bike in open loop mode is just flat out bad advice. All it is going to take is a hot ride up a long hill when your in open loop and people are going to have heat and pinging problems. I had pinging problems with mine when running the stock map as soon as I stuck the K&N filter in.

I think the IED's are a great product, but they are not a fix all. They are made to compliment a properly programmed stock or stage 1 bike (at least a HD canned stage 1 map - not a dyno tuned custom map) equipped with stock or stage 1 intake/exhaust. Like a lot of people that have chimed in on this thread, I've been building and tuning motors for 25+ years and I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about what this product will do.

FWIW - if you change intake/exhaust, I strongly recommend you change the ECM map or add a Fuelpak. Running the XIED/IED's with a dyno tuned map or a canned SERT map or PCIII is not a good idea - too rich in closed loop. If you go with the HD download, it will run properly in both open and closed loop modes once the IED's are installed. I have not run the XIED's, and based on the range that they make the O2 sensors run at, I have my concerns about consistency. Until I see a dyno run of a couple different bike with these, I will hold off any judgements. I DO have confidence in the IED's because they do not force the O2 sensors into a range where they become substantially inaccurate (where the XIED's make them work).

Hopefully, this will prevent some headaches later on for a few people.

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:21 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Chuck,

Thanks for explaining that so well. It makes me feel better that I did do the download with my Stage 1 and pipes. Since it was part of the bike deal I wouldn't have got a refund anyway.

Another reason is the warranty issue. Even though my dealer might do the warranty work without a download you never know where you could break down and where you could be towed to. This way another dealer can't refuse the claim.

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:47 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

There is alot of truth in what your post states. I,ve tested bike's with and without downloads and if the air box and exhaust has been changed there is greater benefit with the download. Stock bikes can run the IED,s or XiED's and reap good results as has always been the results of the tests in the lab.
If you go too radical with engine mods then you WILL have to get a SERT and a custom map.

Old 05-01-2008 | 07:31 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

CKinAZ

This question has been put to Steve. He comments that the stock map runs between 12.8 and 13.1 in open loop as measured by the exhaust.

Chuck my Dealer Chandler HD wouldn't even put the stage one download on my Bike cause I didn't have 100% HD parts, so what does that tell you?? Yet, Mesa HD will gladly take my $200.

I'm running a K&N RK3909 AC, and Rush Slip Ons with 2 inch Baffles with no $200 download from the dealer. My Bike runs just fine. In fact it runs better than when it was bone stock. Temperatures are nice and cool.

I personally won't be giving the dealer any more money, no reason to.

Old 05-01-2008 | 07:49 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Hey Chuck, great post. There is only one thing I'd like to add to your post.

HD does not make true duel exhausts for the 08 model years. Due to this, they do not have a Stage 1 map for the 08 touring models with True Duels. (EPA & CARB)

I found that out the hard way. The service manager missed this when they put on my Bub 7's. They were too busy with looking over the new pipes that they had never seen or installed before. After he seen what happened to my pipe, they wheeled it into the bay immediatly and put on theFuel Pak. No labor and the FP at cost. Bub's sending a new heatshield.

I can't comment on the 07's and earlier.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. XIED's for theclosed loop and the FP running the open loop with the Stage 1 underneath both.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test