Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:09 PM
diebolt
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Thanks Cruiser

I just thought that the percentage of the voltage dropwould be different for the XiED's compared to the IED's. I do appreciate all the info you and the others have posted here.

For me this is a no brainer to choose Steve's product. I am not into building my bike into a muscle machine, just want it to run good and a little cooler. That is what I have got from the IED's and expect the same with the XiED's.

Thanks Again

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mike, your welcome. You and I think very much a like. My days of being King of the Hill are over, not to say this Bike couldn't kick some butt. But that was not my goal.

The 96 ci engine is a good power plant, and has plenty of power to keep me happy. I have been in search of a simple device that would cater to the fuel needs of this engine with a mod or two. Like a nice exhaust system or an air kit.

I love this Bike now. It is everything I dreamed of all those days I spent in the Philippines. I was over there for almost 13 months, and my Biker magazines and my dream of buying a Harley upon my return helped keep my sanity. I actually owned and rode all over a 125 cc Honda Wave. Tell anybody that and I will deny it...hahaha.

But I finally have my dream Bike and thanks to Steve it runs the way I always perceived it would.

Steve deserves a Big Thank You. Thanks Steve, your the Man.

Dave

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:39 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Happy Happy day... My XIED's finally got here.

For any Canadian buyers... delivery was 13 days. It was sent out on the 17th of April.

Also my Clearview large smoked GT came as well. Now if the rain will leave...... Well off to the garage in a bit.

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:45 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ga.mason

One question I can't seem to get an answer for is when does the bike switch over from closed loop to open loop I know at idle it si closed but I guess what I'm saying is me and the wife cruise at 75 to 80 steady, would that be considered closed or open loop. Im running a 07 Ultra w/V&H slash cuts, SEAC, and the stage one. Im sitting on the PC111 waiting to install. But if the XIEDS will fix my pinging and heat issues, thats all I want.
The switch from closed to open is 4000 rpm or more than 50% throttle.

Old 04-30-2008 | 10:34 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Ybnormal67

Hey Crusier,

I know this a is field testing thread so I am asking forforgiveness before hand about my question....

I just got done talking with Steve and got a wealth of information from him. I forgot to ask him a question though. Wondering if you with experince can help me out a little. I have an 07 Street Bob with HD Stage 1 A/C ( no down load ) and Rush slipons 1.75" baffels and got talked into getting a V/H Fuel pack. Want to get rid of the Fuel Pack for warranty issues.
My question is if I take off the fuel pack and install the IED or the XIED do I need to get the HD down load for the A/C or would I be better off just putting the stock A/C back on and call it good?

Thanks
Joe
I have the Stage 1 A/C and download along with the FP on mine. When they put the FP on, they didn't reflash my ECM. It piggybacks on the ECM. If I remove it, it should go back to running on just the ECM. I think I might do the same thing if I go on an extended trip away from my dealer who put it on.

Cruiser has jumped back and forth with the K&N and stock A/C. He's the best person to answer that.

Most of my friends that run a SERT or any other programable system are running it the sweet spot of 13.2 to 13.8. Your doing the same thing without spending $400+ on a SERT in closed loop.

Granted, the SERT can do more as in timing and others, but if all your doing is adding an A/C and Pipes, the XIED's would do the trick.

As for your warranty, I'd ask the dealer if there would be an issue to running the SE A/C without the download. The book says you have to. You can always put the stock A/C on and take the IED/XIED's off when you go for warranty service work.

I wouldn't think there would be any over kill. A stock bike with the XIED's will be no different than my bike with them on. The only difference will be that I will use that much more fuel to get there.

At the end of the line, both bikes will be at 13.8

Old 04-30-2008 | 11:22 PM
SMCFLHT
6th Gear

My XIEDS arrived in the mail today..Not a bunch of science going on except a much better runner, nice and crisp throttle response. My test run was 110 miles thru the fantabulous mountains on the Kenai peninsula in Alaska-37 degrees-rain and snow.....yes the engine is cooler as when I place my hands on the cylinders they do not warm up quite as fast when traveling down the road. I must say that I think I need a bit more flow thru the A/C as the things starts to fall of sharply at about 90mph.....Thanks Steve for allowing me to acheive a good result with out shipping my bike south, and breaking the bank....No one up here at the dealerships know anything about a SERT.

Old 05-01-2008 | 04:17 AM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

Some questions if anybody wants to jump in. Since the connection for the rear cylinder is under the oil tank on my Softail, I had to disconnect the battery to install the rear XIED. Is there such a thing as "adaptive learning" with the stock ECM and narrow band O2 sensors? Did I dump the memory and now the ECM will have to learn all over again. Could this be the reason I had disappointing results with my XIEDs?

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:58 AM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

Please forgive me for asking what might be another dumb question but I am a little confused after reading all the posts.

From what I gather the Fuel Pack is useless in my application. Am I right in concluding that I am basically running the Rush with SE A/C ( no download ) just on the stock ECM above idle? If so is this a concern or can the stock ECM handle the AF ratio with the higher flow throught the engine?

Is the HD download really worth the money? I am thinking IED or XIED's, remove the fuel packand leave the A/C and slipons where they are. Anyone see any issues with that?

Sorry that was more than 1 question. Just trying to get some input from those who have first hand experince with the testing and experimenting.....

Thanks for the help,

Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/86982640615B437FB25E8724B7CE96F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:14 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser

I'm gonna pull the trigger on the XIED's today, please tell me that I am doing the right thing. Will it cure my pinging and cool it down or should i go ahead and drop the $250 to install and tune the PCiii I have. It's all so confusing, I'm losing my mind.

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:40 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

GUNDOG,
The ecu is not "adaptive" in the way of learning anything. It IS adaptive only in constantly changing the fuel mix as dictated by the O2 inputs.
Hope this answers your question. Earlier post may have been confusing on this issue.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test