Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 11:37 AM
ga.mason
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

One question I can't seem to get an answer for is when does the bike switch over from closed loop to open loop I know at idle it si closed but I guess what I'm saying is me and the wife cruise at 75 to 80 steady, would that be considered closed or open loop. Im running a 07 Ultra w/V&H slash cuts, SEAC, and the stage one. Im sitting on the PC111 waiting to install. But if the XIEDS will fix my pinging and heat issues, thats all I want.

Old 04-30-2008 | 11:44 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

WBO2's were really designed for older vehicles that fall under EPA certification enforced at the time of manufacture for that particular vehicle. They are still in use today because of the weight class of the vehicle, mostly in pickups.

Old 04-30-2008 | 11:48 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ga.mason

One question I can't seem to get an answer for is when does the bike switch over from closed loop to open loop I know at idle it si closed but I guess what I'm saying is me and the wife cruise at 75 to 80 steady, would that be considered closed or open loop. Im running a 07 Ultra w/V&H slash cuts, SEAC, and the stage one. Im sitting on the PC111 waiting to install. But if the XIEDS will fix my pinging and heat issues, thats all I want.
Open loop vs. closed loop is controlled by throttle position and is also influenced by the MAP sensor.
The Xied's should take care of the pinging / detonation and because of the richer mixture, the heat as well.

Old 04-30-2008 | 11:54 AM
HOGBOB
Tourer

Rider57,

I made a very quick visit to the Nightrider site. Nice site. It answers alot of questions. Nightriders explanation of NB02 sensors=Voltage Output from a typical narrow band O2 sensor
The most accurate range for narrow band O2 sensors is the .400v to .800v or the 15.0:1 to 14.2:1 AFR ranges. Once the fuel ratio is outside these limits, the accuracy of measurement rapidly changes. This is why narrow band oxygen sensor are considered a 14.7:1 AFR voltage switch.
The voltage divider works by taking advantage of the accurate range of the O2 sensor and some simple electronics to allow .750v output from the O2 sensor to look like .500v to the fuel injections system.

That is crystal clear to me. They also state the operational error range for IED's at AFR +-.2, and XIED operational error range at +.3 to-.7 AFR. Big differance for the XIED's, as that is not very "fine" control. I'd go so far as saying that your AFR will be all over the place with XIED's, as the NB02 sensors are clearly being used outside there intended range.

Old 04-30-2008 | 12:51 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HOGBOB

Rider57,

I made a very quick visit to the Nightrider site. Nice site. It answers alot of questions. Nightriders explanation of NB02 sensors=Voltage Output from a typical narrow band O2 sensor
The most accurate range for narrow band O2 sensors is the .400v to .800v or the 15.0:1 to 14.2:1 AFR ranges. Once the fuel ratio is outside these limits, the accuracy of measurement rapidly changes. This is why narrow band oxygen sensor are considered a 14.7:1 AFR voltage switch.
The voltage divider works by taking advantage of the accurate range of the O2 sensor and some simple electronics to allow .750v output from the O2 sensor to look like .500v to the fuel injections system.

That is crystal clear to me. They also state the operational error range for IED's at AFR +-.2, and XIED operational error range at +.3 to-.7 AFR. Big differance for the XIED's, as that is not very "fine" control. I'd go so far as saying that your AFR will be all over the place with XIED's, as the NB02 sensors are clearly being used outside there intended range.
The key phrase is "most accurate range". By decreasing the sensed voltage, the ECU dumps a little more fuel. Being used outside thier range is exactly what the IED'sare intended to do. The XiED's are more liberal in creating a richer AFR and are, in fact, more stable.
Theory is one thing on paper, it's something else in the real world.
We all ride a little bit differently, upshift / downshift at different RPM's. In being different, we all experience different results when using either the IED or XiED.
If you think that's messed up, you should look at what both the stock and any SERT maps do as far as AFR's all over the place.
The ecu sample rate cannot keep up with the instant changes the the O2's, so it averages the input and adjusts accordingly.

Old 04-30-2008 | 01:29 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

HogBob,

I am the author of this thread, and I believe it's not proper Internet etiquette to come in and Hi-Jack a thread.

I see one instance where someones fiance is buying him a SERt and someone said use both, That's it. If given the question should I buy a SERT or XIED and all I have is an air kit and pipes, then I will always recommend the XIED's. It's like the old saying, why buy the Cow when all you need is Milk? I'm not going to tell these people to mortgage the Farm to buy a Race Tuner and pay for a Dyno Tune, when all they need is to be a little richer.

The Title of this thread is Field Testing the IED. Its purpose is for people who are sick of being ripped off buying pricey fuel mngt systems that they don't need. It offers an alternative. A CHEAPER alternative. That works perfectly the way it was intended to work. The results are over whelming. Page after page of members reporting similar accounts of better throttle response, quicker acceleration, and most importantly cooler running motors.

Yes we could of done this in other ways using a SERT, doing expensive head work, but this topic happens to be about the IED and XIED. I would appreciate it if you respected the nature of this thread and stayed on topic. Your always free to start your own thread and say what ever you like.

I also suggest you give Steve a call as he can answer all your questions and concerns. If you need his number I will be Happy to oblige you by givng it to you.

Now may we please resume the discussion we had on the IED and XIED?

Old 04-30-2008 | 01:52 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

HogBob,

I am the author of this thread, and I believe it's not proper Internet etiquette to come in and Hi-Jack a thread.

I see one instance where someones fiance is buying him a SERt and someone said use both, That's it. If given the question should I buy a SERT or XIED and all I have is an air kit and pipes, then I will always recommend the XIED's. It's like the old saying, why buy the Cow when all you need is Milk? I'm not going to tell these people to mortgage the Farm to buy a Race Tuner and pay for a Dyno Tune, when all they need is to be a little richer.

The Title of this thread is Field Testing the IED. Its purpose is for people who are sick of being ripped off buying pricey fuel mngt systems that they don't need. It offers an alternative. A CHEAPER alternative. That works perfectly the way it was intended to work. The results are over whelming. Page after page of members reporting similar accounts of better throttle response, quicker acceleration, and most importantly cooler running motors.

Yes we could of done this in other ways using a SERT, doing expensive head work, but this topic happens to be about the IED and XIED. I would appreciate it if you respected the nature of this thread and stayed on topic. Your always free to start your own thread and say what ever you like.

I also suggest you give Steve a call as he can answer all your questions and concerns. If you need his number I will be Happy to oblige you by givng it to you.

Now may we please resume the discussion we had on the IED and XIED?
Should have pointed that out, but ditto!

Old 04-30-2008 | 02:01 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

OK crusier, I'm out.

I've found out all I need from Nightriders own site. I've also found out what a complete wealth of misinformationsome things put forth in this thread are. Beinggiven out by people who actas if they know what they are talking about. I had questions as to how these things worked, the answers and advice in this thread did not always make much sense to me. I now know.(how they work)And my I say with no thanks to this thread. So continue, The IED's, and the rather poor at controlling AFR XIEDS, have there place, for folks that can't afford something better. XIEDS with a AFR varying between 14.1-13.1,( remember +.3-.7) are crude compared to most if not all other fuel managment devices out there. But you do not want me saying that in YOUR thread do you. Carry on, this is my last post on this topic.

Old 04-30-2008 | 02:24 PM
burr3rd
2nd Gear

I remember that someone pulled their plugs with the original O2iEDs much earlier in the thread and they were of a slight tan tint (which is good). Has anyone pulled their plugs with the XiEDs to see what they look like?

Old 04-30-2008 | 02:50 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

I have little mechanical skills but I still know what the IED's and the others accomplish. Maybe if he understood the bias tables in the ecm.
How can you look at a web site quickly?
Still waiting for Steve to email saying the DYN OiED's are ready.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test