Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:19 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

hdblk2003,

There are alot of us that would be interested in those numbers. Please post them when you get them.

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:43 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

HOGBOB,

I fully agree with that logic.But right now I don't know what I will be doing "down the road". For only1 bill,I will get my money's worth from the XIEDuntil I do know what I want to do, if anything. I got to find somebodyclose than can/will dyno tune onecorrectly before I drop the coin for a SERT.

I was really excited (heavy sarcasm)when my dealer said he could tune the bike, with the SERT, where my AFR would drop all the way from 15.1 : 1 down to 14.6 : 1!! I didn't press the issue because of my lack of knowledge, but if their dyno tune only changes the AFR to 14.6 : 1, I can't help but think they are charging for a big dyno tune, but not really doing one. If that is the best tune I can find around here, then the IED/XIED along with the SERT does make sense to me. (I think[sm=confused06.gif])

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:46 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I think most of us know that Bob. But for many of us, who have no intention of doing any future motor work, it is giving us exactly what we are looking for. A smoother, cooler running ride with the sort of performance we were expecting in the 1st place.
And, I might add, that even if I was planning on a build somewhere in the future, I think I would spend a hundred now and make what I've got rideable, rather than buying more tuner than what I need and taking the chance that there might be something better available when I did get ready to build.
Look at how things are changing over the last year. The old SERT is out, replaced by new Pro model, There are changes being made in the other tuners, and who knows what else is in the works.

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:53 PM
peapodcv
Cruiser

I was just on nightriders web to order xieds and it said comming soon. When will I be able to purchase? In the mean time does any that upgraded to the xieds be willing to sell their old ieds.

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:58 PM
SILVERTEX
Advanced

Hey peapodcv, you can order them now. I ordered a pair this morning.

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:58 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

mike5511,

My advise to you is get the XIED's, and forget the SERT. All I was saying above, is that the sert will allow you to set your AFR anywhere you want it. If you can do that, why in heck do you want to piggy back a devise that sets it to 13.8? If that is all you want, get the XIED's and be done. Am I missing something?[>:]

Old 04-29-2008 | 08:59 PM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: peapodcv

I was just on nightriders web to order xieds and it said comming soon. When will I be able to purchase? In the mean time does any that upgraded to the xieds be willing to sell their old ieds.

Click here: http://www.nightrider.com/parts/They appear to be available to me

Old 04-29-2008 | 09:09 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

HOGBOB,

No, I agree with what you said. BUT, if I buy the SERT from my dealer, and his "big dyno tune" only richens me up to 14.6:1, then adding the IED/XIED would not be over kill itseems to me. Now if you can get a good dyno tune, you wouldn't need to put on the IED/XIED. But it appears, from reading not only this thread, but others, that it is really hard to find a good dyno turner. So, running the two together might be a good idea in some cases.......Mike

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:02 PM
marcello
Intermediate

The SERT is a great tool in getting the best performance out of your bike. One of the reasons is that it has the capabilities to address tuning aspects other than the AFR. For most people, the main issue with the new HDs is the AFR, and the IEDsaddress that in a simple, do-it-yourself way.More important andprobably the mainreason the IEDs are appealing is that people understand whatthey do, where the varieties of maps and adjustments the SERT offers can be a bit intimidating.

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

HogBob,

You hit the nail on the head when you said, "The reason being, he will not be modifying his scooter beyond slipons and air cleaner". I think that statement covers the majority of us. We're not going to be building super engines down the road. An air kit and exhaust, and most of us are done. In a lot of cases we're not the ones buying the Race Tuner, the Dealer is pushing it for these simple mods. For the majority of us, myself included the XIED is all I will ever need. I've tried Race Tuners and Power Commanders in the past with another Bike. They're only as good as the Man doing the tuning. Which in a lot of cases is mediocre. It's overkill and a terrible waste of money. With the XIED my Bike runs great, and most importantly it runs cool. What else could I possible need?

Technology is changing daily, why buy a SERT now based on the premise that someday I might want to do more. It's a waste of money. Later on down the road if and when I decide to do more I'm sure technology will offer better products. For $109 for the XIED how could I possible go wrong?

I see your running V&H Duals and a Big Sucker, and yet you have a SERT. $500 for the SERT, and if you had it dyno tuned you laid out at least $300 more. When you could have spent $109 and still have a good running bike and a cooler engine. Now the SERT is yesterdays technology. You haven't used it to it's fullest capacity and already there is a newer product on the shelf. When you could of bought an XIED and had a good running Bike now for just $109.

It's not the end all be all, but for the majority of us it's all we'll ever need. Our Bikes run consistently good, we have no more heat problem, and we don't need a specialized Tech who will charge an arm and a leg to tune it.

I'm happy with what I got. Including my Money still sitting in my Bank Account.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test