Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:46 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: 05LowRider

I'm curious about something. I've been running the IED's for several weeks now. I see nearly all the people using them are running stock exhaust with slip-on's. Anyone besides me running a full true dual exhaust? Any negative effects if so?

I'm just wondering if there is a need to have any other fuel management for my setup. I'm sure the closed loop will manage just fine with IED's alone, but not sure if I would be too lean in open loop or not. Sorry for the highjack but I've been following this thread and I know there are a few people in here that might know the answer.
I am and no negatives. I'm also running a FP for the open loop portiom of the map.I might have been able to get away without it, but Steve told me it can only help. My pipes are larger at the cylinder. (1 7/8) I did get a heatscore on them, but even Bub and Steve are not sure if it's from the heat or just a bad chrome job.

I'm pretty happy with my set up now. I took on my buddies 103 (02 RK)and held even with him and walked away above 85 mph.This might have more to do with the FP and the Stage 1 since I was pushing it in the open loop part of the map. The pipes helped a lot in the top end as well.

Just normal cruising has been great. The roll on power is great. 6th gear at 55 mph runs great at 1800 rpm. Roll the throttle and it pulls nicely. Kick it down and it moves and pullshard.

I just can't wait for the XIED's. It's been 11 days now.

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:53 AM
smokey
Novice

I got my Xied's today, very fast I think I ordered on Thursday night. I have about 500 miles on the IED'sput them on at about 100 miles(new 08 police Road King, stock 103) and have been happy with their performance. I put the XIED's on tonight and went for a 15 minute ride before dinner to see how they worked. I was over an hour late and really didn't want to come home then. The new edition really woke up my bike. The thing I noticed most is how smooth the bike runs, even with the IED's I still had a bit of a surge but not now. I was able to do roll ons from 60-65 mph in 6th, even up hill, no lugging or pinging the bike just wanted to go. I also notice the exaust note others have talked about, with stock pipes deer actually heard me coming tonight and were moving away form the road.

Old 04-29-2008 | 01:18 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

My Mileage has ranged from a high of almost 47 mpg to 40mpg, today I checked and it was 42 mpg. Considering the advantages I'm gaining, it's well worth it. I'm not really losing all that much if anything. When you cruise for long periods your mileage is going to go up, because your using less throttle. It's a lot of fun riding with XIED's. Just touch the throttle and your moving out.

This time last year my legs were litterally getting burnt. Today in 94 degree weather I was so comfortable. It's just truely amazing how cool the engine runs.

Best Bang for the Buck$$$...XIED's.

Old 04-29-2008 | 07:20 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: zzmellio

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the XEID's. I am currently running a PCIII but am tired of messing with it. Here where I live in Kansas City,it is impossible to find a good tuner. The one thing Im curious about is has anyone with the enhancment noticed a reduction in their pipes glowing? With the PCIII I have eliminated that with advancing the timing at idle.
Pipes glowing?!! You right on with checking the timing, anyone else? Check for air leaks in your exhaust system also.

Old 04-29-2008 | 07:23 AM
skidly
Intermediate

it would be nice to see some dyno runs and afr charts on a before and after (at least some after installs) I was trying to decide if I was going to go with slip-ons and stock airbox and xieds, or if Going to tru-duels and freeflow airbox and SERT or TTS race Tuner. I'd Like to see an afr chart on a bike that had stage1 AC, True-duals, and XIEDs!

Old 04-29-2008 | 10:01 AM
SMCFLHT
6th Gear

My vote is a series of charts starting with all stock...Then,
XIEDS
XIEDS, 80491-07 slipons...
XIEDS, 80491-07 slipons with SE A/C (no ecm cal)...
XIEDS, 80491-07 slipons with A/C and ecm cal...
You get the picture.

Old 04-29-2008 | 11:43 AM
jeffrey98837
Cruiser

Feedback from Vance & Hines regarding Fuelpak:

I emailed Adam this morning,

I have an 07 Ultra, K&N A/C, Wildpig slipon's, 2" baffles and I am using FP-0529. I just purchased a set of XIED's from http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ and was wondering if you had done any test's with this set up. I have been told by some that the fuelpak will compliment the XIED's and others say I will not need the fuelpak anymore. What is your opinion on this?

Thanks.....

[hr]

His Reply,

The Fuelpak is not compatible with this product.
--
Sincerely,

Adam Rogers

[hr]

Any Thoughts?......

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:09 PM
G Rod
Tourer

Thoughts? yep. The bike is no longer epa compliant and Vance and Hines cannot legally endorse one that isn't epa compliant.

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:11 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I would say that as a businessman, if you are interested in the health and growth of your business, it behooves you to know the products of your competition and products that enbhance the capabilities of your own business.
Possibly Mr. Rogers isn't really interested in how his product interacts with others, whether it serves to effect his business or not.
I would say to ask Mr. Mullen at Nightrider. I'll just bet he knows how the IED's interface with most every tuner on the market.

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:16 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Cruiser:
Received the XIED's yesterday, installed them and tested them today 3 times. Outside air temp 81 F

1. Front 280, Rear 302
2. Front 292, Rear 312
3. Front 286, Rear 306

Average: Front 286, Rear 307

The average of the last 3 tests with the regular IED's, OAT 78 F:
Front 283, Rear 304

The results are roughly the same considering it was 3 degrees warmer today.

My conclusion is there is no significant temperature improvement with the XIED's vs. the regular IED's ( I know you found a 5 degree improvement with the XIED's).

However, my seat-of-the-pants dyno says the XIED's provide some extra punch and smootherthrottle response.

As I said on my last post, I will change the fluids to synthetic at my next service. Then I will have the bike dynoed to check the A/F ratio as well as to see if there is any torque and HP improvements from my early dyno run on my bike.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test