Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 08:12 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Congratulations Lonewatie.

As Josey Wales would say get ready for a Missouri Boat Ride

Please do come back and give us a report when your done having fun.

Old 04-28-2008 | 08:34 PM
burr3rd
2nd Gear

BC Guy,
Had the same challenge with my Road King. Pull that other harness toward you and remove the oil filler cap if necessary. It will come our of there but you have to fiddle with it a bit. Good luck.
Regards

Old 04-28-2008 | 08:54 PM
burr3rd
2nd Gear

OK, so I installed the O2iEDs while waiting for the XiEDs that I ordered Sunday and I can honestly say that the difference in the bike (08 Road King stock) is more than subtle. The difference is leaning toward dramatic. Idle is smoother, 1st gear take offfrom stop is much better, overall running is smoother, power difference with roll onis subtle but noticable and decel is smoother. No thermometer readings to report but I can tell you that the bike is definately running cooler and the oil temp is down about 20 degrees. The bike just runs noticeably better overall and I am impressed. I wonder how much the XiEDs will improve things. Thanks to everyone on this thread who pioneered this wonderful inexpensivefix and thanks to Steve at Nightrider.com.

Old 04-28-2008 | 09:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Nice write up Burr3D. It just keeps getting better with the XIED's. Where you use the word "subtle" with the IED's, you'll be using the word "significant" to describe the XIED's.

I just did a summer test in 94 degree weather with the XIED's and the Bike ran cool in the upper 200 range. Now that is significant.

Old 04-28-2008 | 09:25 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain

I'm curious about something. I've been running the IED's for several weeks now. I see nearly all the people using them are running stock exhaust with slip-on's. Anyone besides me running a full true dual exhaust? Any negative effects if so?

I'm just wondering if there is a need to have any other fuel management for my setup. I'm sure the closed loop will manage just fine with IED's alone, but not sure if I would be too lean in open loop or not. Sorry for the highjack but I've been following this thread and I know there are a few people in here that might know the answer.

Old 04-28-2008 | 09:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Open Loop should be no problem as the stock ECU map is even richer in open loop. It ranges from 12.8 to 13.1 measured at the exhaust. So no problem here. You can always go to the XIED with a full exhaust system and an after market air kit. I ran my bike in 94 degree weather today with my Rush slip ons 2 inch baffles and my RK3909 K&N air kit with the XIED. The majority of the day it stayed below 300 degrees in the upper 200's. I was quite impressed.

Old 04-28-2008 | 10:00 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Hey Cruiser, do you notice much difference with the higher flow a/c installed?
I rode a little over 200 miles yesterday with the XIEDs and my stock a/c and Rush 2". I notice just a little bit of popping on deceleration and wonder if I still might be a little lean for any more air? Guess I might pull the plugs and take a look at them.
Temps were good though, and with lots of riding in the mountians I still managed a respectable 43MPG at the end of the day.

Old 04-28-2008 | 11:51 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Doc, I occassionally get a little popping. With the stock air box and the K&N box. I don't think it's the AFR. I notice most of the time I get a normal Grrrrrrrrr sound when I let off the throttle, and once in a while it pops a little. Not exactly sure why. It might be one of many reasons. With the XIED's, you can definitely run a more open air box. The Bike feels healthier with it and sounds better to.

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:18 AM
zzmellio
Tourer

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the XEID's. I am currently running a PCIII but am tired of messing with it. Here where I live in Kansas City,it is impossible to find a good tuner. The one thing Im curious about is has anyone with the enhancment noticed a reduction in their pipes glowing? With the PCIII I have eliminated that with advancing the timing at idle.

Old 04-29-2008 | 12:37 AM
marcss
Road Captain

How is the milage you are getting with the Xied's, still good? Better than the ied's? Just wondering. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test