Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 04:16 AM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Well 600 miles on the new XIEDSin all riding conditions this weekend from high 90s on the flatlands to 50s in the high montains. VERY happy! Great pulling power, never seen oil temp over 230 no matter what the conditions with no oil cooler. 46mpg for the 600+ miles. I had been running IEDS for over 2000 miles and was happy but the 100s will be here soon and I was wanting to keep eng. temps down. I am running SERT canned map Stage1 AC and SE slip ons with stock pipes. NO codes were thrown. I will keep the IEDS for back up But the XIEDS will stay in the bike. I will be installing oil cooler at next oil change and I will be ready for the AZ summer. Thank you Nightrider (steve) this is the best my bike has been in the 13000 miles I have put on this bike.

Old 04-28-2008 | 06:57 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

lonewatie:

Not to take anything away from what cruiser said, I recently had the dealer do the Stage1 download. I had it done for only two reasons.

I bought my bike used last October and it had the SE A/C on it with stock exhaust. I was concerned that it might be running too lean and had it dynoed. In closed loop the A/F ratio was 15.1-15.2 - too lean confirmed.

The indy shop that did the dyno runs recommended thePC III and dyno runs at a cost of $500-550 to correct the lean running. Before Ispent that much money,I did a lot of research. I came across the Nightrider sight and spoke with Steve. He convinced me to try the O2IED's. I did and the bike ran better and seemed to be running cooler.

I then installed the street legal Harley slip-ons to compliment the SE A/C. The bike ran really strong, but I occassionally found I was bumping up against the rev limiter in first gear.

It was then thatI came across Cruiser's post, purchased an infrared thermometer and got involved with a lot of temperature testing. I was thrilled with the results.

I knew thatI really did not need the Stage1 download to make the bike run any better, butI had it done in order to:

1. Raise the rev limit to 6200 RPM

2. Keep the warranty in effect, as according to several dealer service managers, with the SE A/C you must have the Stage 1 download to stay in compliance with the Harley warranty. Of course, if I ever need to take the biketo the dealerfor any work at all,I will remove the IED's first.

My XIED's should be here today, hopefully, and I look forward to see how they do compared to the regular IED's. On my next oil change, I will switch to synthetic in all three holes.

Finally, whenI have a few extra dollars to spend, I will probably have the bike dynoed again with the XIED's, the Stage 1 download, the SE A/C and the SE slip-ons just to see the dyno chart and the A/F ratios.

Old 04-28-2008 | 07:58 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

Mr. Clean & Cruiser - first of all, thanks for all the thorough responses you guys give in this thread, and secondly, for the suggestions/advice/tips. Mr. Clean, I agree with you on the warranty issue, and added to what cruiser mentioned about the rev limiter being, probably, the main reason for the download, makes me want to do it just to be on the safe side. Question though: what is the overall risk of exceeding max RPMs without rev limiter being lifted? I don't ride too hard, mostly just take it easy and don't max out my revs before shifting, so will raising the limiter really do anything for me? Thanks again in advance.

Watie

Old 04-28-2008 | 09:55 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: lonewatie

Mr. Clean & Cruiser - first of all, thanks for all the thorough responses you guys give in this thread, and secondly, for the suggestions/advice/tips. Mr. Clean, I agree with you on the warranty issue, and added to what cruiser mentioned about the rev limiter being, probably, the main reason for the download, makes me want to do it just to be on the safe side. Question though: what is the overall risk of exceeding max RPMs without rev limiter being lifted? I don't ride too hard, mostly just take it easy and don't max out my revs before shifting, so will raising the limiter really do anything for me? Thanks again in advance.

Watie
Without thedownload, you cant excede the RPM limit.
The nature of the H-D engine and its design dictate the max rpm far above the stock and download limit.
You should be safe either way you go.
I never over rev my engine, just dontneed to!

I have the add-on gear making mine a 7 speed. It is an inbetween gearthat engages between 1st and second eliminating the need to rapping out in 1st to get to 2nd while carrying a full load and 2up riding. It's made by Baker.

Raising the rev limit will only (maybe) give you a higher top end speed.

Old 04-28-2008 | 10:45 AM
marcello
Intermediate

All.
I had a quick question, that may have already been discussed.
What happens with the XIEDs in open loop mode? Does it maintain the 13.8 AFR or drop the ratio relative to what the ECM determines? Of does the ECM take over at over 40-50% throttle position?
I quickly searched the nightrider website and wasn't able to find what I was looking for. It does say that the IEDs are for the closed loop mode - does that mean that the O2 sensors and stock ECM take over in open loop mode?
Thanks

Old 04-28-2008 | 11:30 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: marcello

All.
I had a quick question, that may have already been discussed.
What happens with the XIEDs in open loop mode? Does it maintain the 13.8 AFR or drop the ratio relative to what the ECM determines? Of does the ECM take over at over 40-50% throttle position?
I quickly searched the nightrider website and wasn't able to find what I was looking for. It does say that the IEDs are for the closed loop mode - does that mean that the O2 sensors and stock ECM take over in open loop mode?
Thanks
The ECU disconnects the O2 sensors in open loop mode so the IED's and XIED's are not seen by the system.
AFR goes into the 12's.

Old 04-28-2008 | 11:34 AM
marcello
Intermediate

Thanks Rider 57.
It's what I thought but wanted to be sure.
Thanks again

Old 04-28-2008 | 12:54 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Lonewatie,

I have never done the stage one download, and I have never bumped the rev limiter either.

Old 04-28-2008 | 12:59 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

I had the Stage 1 done and it did run a little stronger and betterafterwords. I mainly had it done because of the warranty issue and it was part of the deal I worked with the new bike. If I didn't have it done I would have not got any money back.

Old 04-28-2008 | 01:13 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

OK, this might sound kinda dumb but here goes anyway - I'm trying to install my IED's and for the life of me I cannot get the connector for the rear O2 sensor out from under the starter! It's wedged in there and I'm afraid to reef on it in case I damage a wire or something. I'm gonna go try again and maybe I can finesse the little booger out from under there. At least the weather's miserable so I'm not missing any riding time.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test