Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008 | 01:25 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Fastbagger,

The "V" stands for variable. Which means it is adjustable to a wide band of adjustments. The XIED is set at one setting to deliver an AFR of 13.8. The VIED has like a rheostat switch which allows you to adjust the AFR. Since Steve said he put a little more at each end I would specualte and say you could adjust it from a setting of 14.4 all the way down to 13.6, depending on your needs.

Old 04-27-2008 | 02:03 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

I just emailed Steve and got a responce. Here is what Steve emailed me.

The ViED is adjustable for TC engines from approx. 14.4 to 13.6:1 AFR.

The ViED's have a small pot in the center of them that you adjust with a
small screwdriver. Just work up the dial until your engine starts throwing
transient 131/151 codes, then back off .5 to 1 tick mark

Old 04-27-2008 | 02:11 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

The VIED's are for those who like to Tinker

Old 04-27-2008 | 04:24 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default Let's help Steve

Steve has helped us all tremendously making our Bikes run the way they should have run when we first picked them up. I think it is not asking to much to return the favor to Steve and to help him get the word out about his products.

You know it was not too long ago that I was floundering around on the HD websites falling into the pitfalls that others are still falling into. Buying products and services they don't need and wasting a lot of time and money. I could almost cry when I think of all the money I have wasted.

The IED's litterally turned my life around, and the XIED's were the icing on the cake. I am so Happy now everytime I ride my Bike. It is such a joy.

Let's spread the word around on some of the other forums. Of course only if you believe in the product and feel as strongly as I do. Let's share the greatest little secret on the Net with our Brother Riders.

I have started another thread on another forum. Jump on over and share your positive experience with your IED/XIED or both. Let's get the word out and help our Brothers and Steve who surely deserves it.

Here's the link: http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...ead.php?t=1951

Thank you all,

Dave

Old 04-27-2008 | 07:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Burr

For as little as they cost, I would keep them. It's nice to be able to have a back up in case one eventually goes bad on you.

Old 04-27-2008 | 08:03 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

cruiser 85257:

Today I replaced the infrared thermometer I lost last week after my final test of the O2 IED's and the Stage 1 download. As soon as my XIED's arrive, I will install them, retest and advise the results.

Old 04-27-2008 | 08:44 PM
marcello
Intermediate

cruiser 85257
Regarding the link: All I can say is "AMEN"! Based on the current thread you and a lot of other members have already done a lot of good to the community.
Thanks for starting it. Regarding the search for a good fuel management system, I echo the same story.
As soon as I evaluate the XIED I will contribute feedback.

Old 04-27-2008 | 09:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mr. Clean,

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Marcello,

Sounds Good.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 04-27-2008 | 10:54 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

cruiser85257 - in your 1st post to this thread, you mentioned ...save yourself $150 plus labor for the dealers stage one and do the O2 IED instead.

Trying to make sense out of the whole enchilada here, does the dealer stage I download simply modify the AFR, or is there something else this download does? If I were to install the IED or XIED, with the stage I A/C, and Rush 1.75 baffled slip-ons, would there be any need, in your opinion, to have any other type of fuel manager? In other words, from what I understand from your thread, the IEDs add resistance to the O2 sensors, which in turn give a modified signal to the ECM, which in turn changes the AFR, so what exactly does the stage I download do different from this? You seem pretty well-read on all this, and I appreciate your input. Thanks. Steve might have another fan headed his way. I'm not to keen on taking my bike down to the dealer for something I can do myself. Thanks in advance.

Watie

Old 04-27-2008 | 11:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Lonewatie,

You have asked a question that I have searched for an answer that I just don't think anyone knows for sure. I have five dealers in my area, and not any two people that work there could answer that question the same way. The most popular response was it raises your rev limiter. I've heard it changes the timing. But changing the AFR was not on the list. The EPA would never stand for it.

What I have come to learn during this journey is that our Delphi EFI system is a good system. It's only short coming is the closed loop map from the MoCo. This because of EPA standards having to be met. Steve learned this early on and didn't see a need for a complete system. All the system needed was a richer closed loop. His first attempt were the IED's, which was a total success. It's amazing what .5 richer AFR can do. We have over 20 pages now of owners all in agreement as to the positive changes from the IED's. Then Steve dropped the Bomb on us with his XIED's. I like to call them IED's on Steroids. Truely amazing what an AFR of 13.8 can do for these 96 ci engines.

We all had dreams of how are Bikes would run when we walked into the dealers and saw them sitting there. Dreams that became nightmares when the engine litterally cooked your legs from the heat. Engines surging because they are too lean. Then my nightmare continued with money thrown out the window chasing the elusive dream. Then Steve came along and for under a $100 my original dream was realized. The XIED's have only made it better. I love riding my Bike now. In every aspect it is a Joy to ride.

Save your $200 for a trip to the Dealer for a download that nobody can definitely say what it does. When for $109 you can install in minutes the XIED's which Steve will openly discuss with you and be totally honest about. They will work great with your combination of Rush slip ons with 1.75" baffles and an air kit. You won't need any other fuel mngt program. In fact I am now running the 2" baffles with Rush slip ons and the K&Nair kit. My Bike is running great. I'm done as far as engine mods go. The Bike runs consistently good. It's smoother, throttle response is quicker, acceleration is awesome.

Best Bang For The Buck$$$$. XIED.

PS. I love the Movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales".

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test