Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

SGDude...no problems here.

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:24 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

SGDude...NONE, and yes with the stock muffs you could hear it without the IED's

And if you will re- read again you will see that I polished off the blueing
I had on the head pipes before the IED install...150 miles later they are still
not turning as dark of a purple like the did the first 50 miles when it was new.
I will say that right at the bend off the head it is turning a light blue fading
to yellow but that is exspected, a lot of heat in that area I dont care how good you tune
one. But at least the pipe is not darl purple down as far as it was.

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:26 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

I've been following this thread with great interest. I bought my bike new in Aug of 06 and the first time I rode it I knew there was a heat issue. My main goal was to cool the bike down and the PCIII took care of that. At 1000k I put in Mobile 1. I then got caught up in the "more performance better sound hype" and put on a K&N air filter and Rush slip-ons.
I recently disconnected the PCIII (but left the O2 eliminators connected) and put the stock air filter and the SE slip-ons back on. The bike runs great has plenty of power and I like the sound better. After a ride the oil temp is about 205 deg with the air temp being about 60 deg. I know the oil temp will get hotter this summer, but if I can keep it below 225 deg I'll be happy.
I just received my O2 IEDs in the mail today and when I get them installed I'll contribute to the "field testing". I'm approaching this with guarded optimism. The best case is the bike will run great with no heat issues and the worst case is I'll reconnect the PCIII.
Thanks to Cruiser and Mr. Clean and everyone else for the great info and the motivation to give the IEDs a try.

Old 02-19-2008 | 04:50 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Field Test #3:

Today I experimented with some new stuff. Also made a discovery from one of my last tests. I noticed that the thermometer was set to Celsius. I have a feeling that those real low 200's I was getting were Celsius. But got the thermometer back to Fahrenheit today.

Today I removed the K&N 3909 air kit and put the stock kit back on. I also removed the Rush mufflers with the 2 inch baffles and put the stock exhaust back on. My mission is to make the Bike run richer.

Outside Temperature today was the warmest it has been at 71 degrees F.

Took the Bike for an easy ride, giving it some throttle along the way to see the response. Overall the Bike seemed to be running good. Not really noticing any real difference in before and after throttle response. Pulled into a gas station, shut it down and pulled out the Thermometer making sure it was Fahrenheit. The Temperature for the rear cylinder was around 300 degrees and the front was around 280 degrees Fahtenheit. I'm still 50 degrees cooler than when I had the TVII hooked up running on a day that was 7 ~ 8 degrees cooler.

Doubled checked my temps when I got home. The Rear was in the upper 290's, and the front was around 280 degrees fahrenheit.

I pulled the rear plug and it now has a tint of tan color on the very top of the white insulator.

I won't be running any more Terminal Velocity II tests. The new unit that they promised to send me is not new. In fact it looks just like the one I sent them. They coiled it up and put rubber bands around it, then shoved it in an envelope for shipping to me. They had promised me a new one. I was expecting it to arrive in the plastic case that new ones are sold in. Like the same case I packed mine in when I returned it to them. The owner refused to talk to me and Hell froze over cause Jim finally called me. He swears that this coiled up mess of wires with rubbers bands holding it together is a brand new unit. Reason being that they tested it first. That's OK, but why didn't they return it to its new plastic case for shipping. I told Jim my problem was running too hot. According to him they conducted every test except to see how hot the engine was running. What a big waste of time. Now he tells me to sell it. I can't do that with a good concience cause I don't know what I am selling. I don't know if it is any good. I'm not like them, I'm not going to sell it to someone else knowing it probably doesn't work. All it's good for now is the junk pile.

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:10 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Gundog, you are running the stock esm with the o2 sensors eliminated? Does that throw a code?

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:21 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

No code. It's no different than with the PCIII connected.

Old 02-19-2008 | 05:22 PM
db252
Road Captain

cruiser-

Almost bought the TVII because of other postings and reviews that you gave of it but I am definitly going to try these especially since I just ordered them. I too am one of those that has a stage 1 download SE A/C and Rush slipons with 1.75 baffles. Whatever richening I get I will be happier about and look forward to hopeful cooler temps as well. Thanks to everyone's research on this product.

Also as a side note, I must avoid any type of ECU interface or replacement for it would void the warranty on my 08 and this is my best apparent oportunity.

Old 02-19-2008 | 06:58 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Lost1

FWIW- my dealer's service manager (seems to know his stuff) told me that the H-D Stage 1 download doesn't alter AFR- it only changes timing...
I don't think he's completely correct. When you do a stage 1 (the mods, not the download), you're changing the amount of air coming into the engine. This means you're changing the VE. My guess is the stage 1 download changes the timing tables and the VE tables, but the AFR targets table remains the same. So effectively, the AFR remains the same as stock. However, if you didn't do the stage 1 download when you did the stage 1 mods, the AFRs would be leaner than stock because the VE tables are wrong. Of course in the closed loop range, the VEs should be adapted such that you get the correct AFR even without the stage 1 download. I'm not sure how the open loop AFRs would look though.

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:00 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

DB252 stay away from the TVII, I'll be posting more in a seperate thread about them.

Old 02-19-2008 | 08:12 PM
ultra96rider
Intermediate

Great information, great workfrom all of you. In that we are dealing with the HEAT issue have any of you installed the RJS Original heat shield to divert the heat away from the rear cylinder? Besides an Premium Oil Cooler, the Nightrider 02 option and heat shields I guess there isn't much left to try except waiting for the liquid cooled motor of the future. Meanwhile let's have some fun fixing......

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test