Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Metal core vs. Spiro core plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
hd74ci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal core vs. Spiro core plug wires

Can you run metal core wire with a single fire ignition?[/align]

Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Metal core vs. Spiro core plug wires

The latest single fire ignitions use Ion sensing to determine where the crank is in the 720 degrees of rotation. This system is very sensitive to resistance in the ignition system. I would never advise changing anything in the coils/ignition wires/spark plugs on one of these motors. If you do not have a cam angle sensor but you do have a Crank angle sensor, you have Ion Sensing.

AW

Old 02-06-2008, 06:40 PM
hd74ci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, is there a electronic ignition you can run metal core wires?

Hey thanx for the help.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: hd74ci

Can you run metal core wire with a single fire ignition?[/align]
You can, but metal core wires produce very high radio frequency interference signals. Besides what was already stated about ion sensing, if you have a computerized system on abike such as ignition control, fuel injection, security system etc,it can disrupt their operation andshorten their life. If you havea radio, or anyone around you has one,you/they could herestatic. Other then being a more rugged plug wireoften used in off road applications, there is no advantage to running a metal core plug wire from a performance viewpoint.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Everything geargrinder said is also true. You can drive the onboard computers nuts with those things.

AW

Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For you trouble shooters here, back when I first opened myrace car dyno tuning shop and stillthought I still knew it all, had a fuel injectedSpeed Visionrace car customer who had an intermittent misfire. Spent two days on that car before I found that he was running a metal core coil to distributor wire. All other plug wires were spirolcore, replaced that wire and solved problem. Learned to check for that first on computerized enginesfor such problems, one of the most difficult problems I ever had todiagnose.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

The latest single fire ignitions use Ion sensing to determine where the crank is in the 720 degrees of rotation. This system is very sensitive to resistance in the ignition system. I would never advise changing anything in the coils/ignition wires/spark plugs on one of these motors. If you do not have a cam angle sensor but you do have a Crank angle sensor, you have Ion Sensing.

AW
Ion Sense has NOTHING to do with the CKP..... It is an additional pulse from the coil to the plug, to evaluate combustion effectiveness....

Old 02-07-2008, 11:06 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

In all of the rest of the internal combustion engine world there is onlyfour ways for the ECU to figure where in the 720 degrees of engine rotation the motor is.

1) have a cam angle sensor the can tell where in the 360 degrees of cam rotation the cam is in and compare that to the timing on the missing tooth as it comes past the CAS(GM v-8s)

2) have a distrubutor to point the spark and just watch the CAS for timing (Honda cars in the 90s)

3) fire the ignition about every 360 degrees and dont worry about it (called waisted spark) but this is the real issue on carb farts on Harley.

4) use Ion sensing to watch the compression come up and figure it out that way.

I guess Harley could be watching the crank acceleration as the compression comes up but the programmers will tell you that watching this is sketchy as the battery gets low on charge.Theseare also a wobble fire motors and that adds a new twist to the possible math options.

My sportster manual has about one paragraph that mentions this in passing. It's where they are talking about single fire ignition. They don't elaborate much about it. I spent about ayear working with the programmers over at Megasquirt working with the wheel decoder section of the program reverse engineering the methods used on almost every motor that is out there.

If you what to really mess with your head, google Subaru wheel decoder Megasquirt

AW

Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

In all of the rest of the internal combustion engine world there is onlyfour ways for the ECU to figure where in the 720 degrees of engine rotation the motor is.

1) have a cam angle sensor the can tell where in the 360 degrees of cam rotation the cam is in and compare that to the timing on the missing tooth as it comes past the CAS(GM v-8s)

2) have a distrubutor to point the spark and just watch the CAS for timing (Honda cars in the 90s)

3) fire the ignition about every 360 degrees and dont worry about it (called waisted spark) but this is the real issue on carb farts on Harley. (Almost dead-on with this one.... 'cept it is an 80 vDC charge that acts as a sonar "Ping" to determin the amount of free ions in the exhaust gas'.... The 80 vDC is out of the secondary side of the coil.... only found on EFI bikes, as carb'd bikes have 3 pins in the coil, EFI have 4... Coils are not interchangeable.... Also why you never switch out Plug wires to an off brand, as this disrupts the ION sense, and triggers a "No Combustion Detected" code....

4) use Ion sensing to watch the compression come up and figure it out that way.

I guess Harley could be watching the crank acceleration as the compression comes up but the programmers will tell you that watching this is sketchy as the battery gets low on charge.Theseare also a wobble fire motors and that adds a new twist to the possible math options.

My sportster manual has about one paragraph that mentions this in passing. It's where they are talking about single fire ignition. They don't elaborate much about it. I spent about ayear working with the programmers over at Megasquirt working with the wheel decoder section of the program reverse engineering the methods used on almost every motor that is out there.

If you what to really mess with your head, google Subaru wheel decoder Megasquirt

AW
Also, this is the 3d and FINAL time, I am asking.. Please take a moment and post your inro in the NEW MEMBERS SECTION...

If you have a problem with it, talk to the Mod..... oh wait, that's me... Tell it to an ADMIN.....

Old 02-12-2008, 11:05 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Just my personal bad experience with spirocore wires. Yes, they are low resistance and have
reduced RFI. Unfortunately, they do have high EMI (electromagnetic interference) and this
can be induced into the wiring from sensors, etc. to the ECU causing a variety of problems.
SE silicon wires are just $13 and are designed with the correct resistance to achieve a balanced
ignition without RFI / EMI problems. Just once in a while the factory gets it right.