Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM
hoosierdaddy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander

Will using a power commander cure the lean condition at idle in the rear cylinder ?

Old 02-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Power Commander

Yes if you know how to program one.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 AM
DRAGO1
Tourer

I agree......

Old 02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think any amount of programming will richen the AFR while the stock O2 sensors are enabled. The most the stock sensors will do is 14.2 to 1 AFR (air/fuel ratio).All '07/'08 motors need to have the stock O2 sensors eliminated and the system converted to open loop,or replaced with wideband sensors and a different ECM (like the Zipper's unit or TwinTec) in order to fatten the mixture. Unless DynoJet has a new unit it will not accomplish this to my knowledge. Hope this helps

Old 02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Aerosport
Novice

The power commanders for the 07' 08' bikes come with O2 sensor eliminators that allow you to map the entire fuel cure and even the individual cylinders any way you like.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:21 PM
joemacro65
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Leftcoaster

I don't think any amount of programming will richen the AFR while the stock O2 sensors are enabled. The most the stock sensors will do is 14.2 to 1 AFR (air/fuel ratio).All '07/'08 motors need to have the stock O2 sensors eliminated and the system converted to open loop,or replaced with wideband sensors and a different ECM (like the Zipper's unit or TwinTec) in order to fatten the mixture. Unless DynoJet has a new unit it will not accomplish this to my knowledge. Hope this helps
Can someone add some feedback to Leftcoasters comments. Im trying to make a decision whether to go with either Power Commander or Thundermax. Thundermax is a big investment and I've heard it can be problematic. Seems like everyone knows how to program the Powercommander and so its more recommended and widely used. Not too mention about 1/2 the cost of a TM.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:47 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The turbo shop who formally made the SERT is supposed to be coming out with a new product, I believe in March. You may just want to wait a month and see what they come up with. Do a search on the forum for Steve Cole and you can see what he has to say about it.

In regards to LeftCoaster, he is not speaking of the PowerCommanders of 07 or later. Aerosport provided the context for you.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry guys - I didn't know the newPower Commanders came with O2 eliminators, but my commentswere correct.
The only decision to be made is: open loop (PowerCommander) or closed loop (ThunderMax). Open loop uses a predesignated map and the closed loop has the ability toadjust itself while on the go.
A PowerCommanderis less expensive, very easy to install and you can adjust it yourself. Dyno time isusually recommended for proper tuning, although you can get pretty close with DynoJet's tech help.I've usedthem onmy bikesand they all ranmuch better than stock. The only thing I can offer is thatI could never cure the popping in the exhaustwith the PowerCommander. That was eliminated altogether witha ThunderMax.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The PCIII can run in either open-loop mode with the O2-sensor eliminators or with the sensors connected in closed-loop mode, although I haven't seen the latter method recommended by anyone. I certainly couldn't think of a good reason to recommend it used with the O2 sensors, and any PCIII adjustment made within the close-loop range would be overridden. It would not alleviate the lean condition in the low-end (<50% TP and <2850 RPM's) while in closed-loop, but would allow you to richen the areas above that when in open-loop mode. You could zero out all areas <2850 RPM's and 50% TP, which is within the range affected by closed-loop mode, if you wanted to retain the stock gas mileage and heat problems.

The big plus for installing the PCIII is that once a good map is obtained you are in great shape as long as you retain that hardware combo. It will not adapt, but that isn't a disadvantage unless you plan on changes, and each incremental change will require a remap. When you buy from a dealer like Fuel Moto you will get a map based on a custom dyno tune of a like-equipped bike, which will be very close to ideal.

The T'Max is an interesting alternative, but for most people it is overkill, IMO, especially considering the price. There is a misconception that the T'Max AT will adapt to any alterations made to the bike, but it cannot do so except for small changes. Anything major, like a cam change, will require a new base map, either canned or obtained from a dyno tune. It's wide-band closed-loop operation throughout the RPM band is more adaptable than other systems, but I don't think it will result in a performance increase compared to a PCIII once a good map is obtained. The stock EFI in open-loop mode will make adjustments in humidity, altitude, and air temp using sensors already installed--and that functionality is retained with the PCIII.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: hoosierdaddy

Will using a power commander cure the lean condition at idle in the rear cylinder ?
You can adjust each cylinder 0±100% A/F and 0-100° ignition advance. That's about as adjustable as you can get.

Quick Reply: Power Commander