Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Totally confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Totally confused

ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank
I'm pretty sure he means the map in the ECM, not the PC. The PC will only adjust so far from the map in the ECM. It shouldn't be a problem for things like stage 1 or mild cams. If you start getting into big bore and bigger cams, it's better to get a SERT (or an aftermarket ECM) so you can adjust the map in the ECM.
The PCIII can adjust ±100% on A/F and ±100° on ignition advance on each cylinder individually. I don't know how you can have any greater adjustability that this.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: ToBeFrank
I'm pretty sure he means the map in the ECM, not the PC. The PC will only adjust so far from the map in the ECM. It shouldn't be a problem for things like stage 1 or mild cams. If you start getting into big bore and bigger cams, it's better to get a SERT (or an aftermarket ECM) so you can adjust the map in the ECM.
The PCIII can adjust ±100% on A/F and ±100° on ignition advance on each cylinder individually. I don't know how you can have any greater adjustability that this.
Taken from the software manual for the PCIII USB:

"The cells in the ignition table contain values showing the number of degrees to advance or retard ignition spark timing. The maximum value that can be used is 10 degrees advanced (+10), the minimum is 10 degrees retarded (-10)."

Old 02-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer

Ok I have been on the megasquirt site, any tips on where to go and what to get?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

download the basic software from http://www.ncs-stl.com/ms2/MegaTune.zipand copy it to your c:\ and snoop around the software. Remember that this stuff is far from plug and play fut it will run anything. The megamanual has lots of info here http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/and info unique to microsquirt is here http://www.microsquirt.info/ The microsquirt is better for motorcycle installs. The trick is getting a crank signal into the squirt. Ont the newer bikes you can use the 30-2 trigger wheel that is stock. On the other motors creativity will be involved. I think Al came of with a way to do a way to do sequential for the wobble fire 2 cylinders bikeslike the Duc and Harley.

AW

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
RCH
Novice

Maybe I am missing the point of all the different EFI tuners, but I am assuming that some are as basic as just enrichening things tocompensate for the lean conditions that the MoCo had to run to comply with EPA standards, to the super-whamludyne that can compensate for about anything you modify on your engine and can actually squeeze out more HP by tuning every aspect of your air, fuel, and timing for both cylinders independant of each other.

But, is it safe to say that by "fooling" the ECU about where your air to fuel mixtureis with the voltage dividers that nightrider has, is more than enough to compensate for installing a less restrictive intake/exhaust system?

I am sure it is not as spot on as using a tuner, but does it give a minimally modified motor a fighting chance to not burn itself up by running too lean?

Thanks,
RC

Old 02-18-2008, 12:37 PM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

If your bike is running good I may not mess wth it. The real issue is that either you nor the dealer have any idea what is going on on the top end. You are at the mercy of the generic map behaves similar to the combination the map was tuned for.

I purchased a Rinehart 2-1 and have no reason to believe that the canned map is close enough. I purchased the sert for the data loging capability. I will be using wireless radios and a chase car to hold the computer. I can also use a large antenna in a parking lot for prelim data loging.

for the radios see

http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/xstream.jsp

$129 each and are XBP-PKI-001-RA

AW
the guy is learning about EFI and is confused. Getting a set up like this might not be up his alley.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCH

But, is it safe to say that by "fooling" the ECU about where your air to fuel mixtureis with the voltage dividers that nightrider has, is more than enough to compensate for installing a less restrictive intake/exhaust system?

I am sure it is noMaybe I am missing the point of all the different EFI tuners, but I am assuming that some are as basic as just enrichening things tocompensate for the lean conditions that the MoCo had to run to comply with EPA standards, to the super-whamludyne that can compensate for about anything you modify on your engine and can actually squeeze out more HP by tuning every aspect of your air, fuel, and timing for both cylinders independant of each other.
t as spot on as using a tuner, but does it give a minimally modified motor a fighting chance to not burn itself up by running too lean?

Thanks,
RC
Doingthe resister trick is exactly the same as the trick on the O2 bias in theSERT software. It is a way to fool the ECU into doing closed loop at 14.2 or so instead of the 14.6 AFR it thinks it is homing in on. This trick does very little if anything on the high power and cold start sections of the map.There may besome effect due to the long termfuel correction that the SERT software does not let you see. You can have as much as a 10% swing from a feature that was intended to be an overall correction for things like low fuel pressure or dirty filters.

FLHX

This stuff is not for the faint of heart. Once you get your head around the basic logic involved EFI tuning starts making a lot more sence. With some creative thinking out of the box, even the high doller dynos can be left out of the loop. The Megasquirt guys do it all the time on the street and on the track.They takedata loging and a $400 wideband and rock and roll.

AW