Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Totally confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:41 AM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Totally confused

i may be more confused now. i am familiar with EFI as i've worked on my cars since my 86 Mustang came with EFI. someone please point me in the right direction to purchase the units and i'll look at their specs and decide which one. assuming of course that everyone on here is going to confirm that i can'
t get by with just a 'Fuel Pak' or similar.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys that are coming from a Mustang world most likely have been working with a MAF system. Thay are far more tollerent of motor changes. Speed density is somewhat tollerent (what we are dealing with stock or thit a SERT. Tru Alpha-n systems are the most finiky and should be avoided(most other systems available for a Harley). The Harley SERT system is the closest to a powerfull yet tunable systen that you have available as a plug and play type system. If you truly want access to everything then Megasquirt is the only good choice but the learning curve is far steaper.You would loose the Ion sensing going the Megasquirtroute.

AW

Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

WB: Given your interest (as evidenced by the antennas, chase car for data logging, etc.), you should consider the Daytona Twin Scan II+ and install bungs for the 02 sensors in your headers. It greatly simplifies establishing accurate VE. Sniffers up the tail pipe will work, but not nearly as well as being able to install the 02 sniffers in the head pipes; if you have an '07 or '08, of course, the bungs are already there.

Excellent posts/explanations on SERT/EFI by the way. I have tuned my bike using the SERT and TSII+ and enjoyed the process a lot; no way I'd enjoy pulling the carb to change a jet, reinstall, re-jet, etc., etc.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:41 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

WB: Given your interest (as evidenced by the antennas, chase car for data logging, etc.), you should consider the Daytona Twin Scan II+ and install bungs for the 02 sensors in your headers. It greatly simplifies establishing accurate VE. Sniffers up the tail pipe will work, but not nearly as well as being able to install the 02 sniffers in the head pipes; if you have an '07 or '08, of course, the bungs are already there.
I happen to own an Innovate wideband with full data logging. It is only one channel but I can use it to fake the stock EFI taht the narrowbands are still in place. It is possible to log TPS, MAP, RPM and AFR. Al in a 6" x 4" x 1" box.

AW

Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

I happen to own an Innovate wideband with full data logging. It is only one channel but I can use it to fake the stock EFI taht the narrowbands are still in place. It is possible to log TPS, MAP, RPM and AFR. Al in a 6" x 4" x 1" box.

AW
Sounds just like a twinscanII to me, although they are dual channel now, as far as "faking the stock efi, using the sert ,you can take it out of closed loop while tuning the VE's or you can simply install a 1 meg resistor across the 02 plugs which is all that the dynojet eliminators really are. If you do this, the SERT data mode VE numbers and corrected VE numbers will run the same at all times.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:54 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

My intent is to use the narrow band/self tuning featureto sync in that vast majority of the map to 14.6 Then later set the AFR to the actual desired AFR once I have both maps synced.

AW

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Classic Beast
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow some good information but a little overwhelming for a carb owner. Would like to know what you guys think of this system. http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/efiaboutrsr.htmas I plan on replacing my carb with an EFI, have a 127" Ultima with mikuni "Carb"

Old 02-11-2008, 03:42 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

If coming up from scratch, go Megasquirt all the way. Not even close

AW

Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

Classic Beast, keep the Carb. I'd love to have my old HSR 42mm Flatside again.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
TymToPla
Advanced

Is table 1 for the rear cyl and table 2 for the front in the PCIII matrix? Same for fuel and timing?

Quick Reply: Totally confused