Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Totally confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM
jonylost
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Totally confused

Ok, I am with the confused crowd.[:'(] Is the HD Download that is shunned so much what the dealer uses to "re-mapp" your engine after a simple mod?

Background - 07 RK and I added the Stage 1 air cleaner and Rinehart slipons. Is it necessary to have an add on commander to make this setup work properly or can the dealer just remap it and I get on and ride. This will be the only engine mods I make for QUITE a while do to money, so having something that I can tune every month with a new mod is not my situation.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

If your bike is running good I may not mess wth it. The real issue is that either you nor the dealer have any idea what is going on on the top end. You are at the mercy of the generic map behaves similar to the combination the map was tuned for.

I purchased a Rinehart 2-1 and have no reason to believe that the canned map is close enough. I purchased the sert for the data loging capability. I will be using wireless radios and a chase car to hold the computer. I can also use a large antenna in a parking lot for prelim data loging.

for the radios see

http://www.digi.com/products/wireless/xstream.jsp

$129 each and are XBP-PKI-001-RA

AW

Old 02-01-2008, 04:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Why don't you use a laptop & backpack

Old 02-01-2008, 05:47 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

Power commander has some serious limitations. They only work off base maps that PC does not let you get to. You do not have access to controling the O2s. Acceleration enrichment is rather lame (but so is AE in a sert). You get fairly limited data logging.
Limitations? Yes. Serious limitations? I think not. All EFI controls have some limitations.

You say "They only work off base maps that PC does not let you get to," and by that I assume you mean the user has no access to the PC map. If this is what you're saying you are wrong. The PCIII comes with PC Control Center software that gives you complete control of the map (A/F and ignition advance for both cylinders, rev limiter, etc.), and you can even attach accessories like the Multi-function Hub that allow more flexibility, like switching between maps on the fly. Very detailed data logging is possible with the PCIII with the MFH or the Wide-band Commander, if you want to pay extra for this functionality. With the map switch you can run two maps and switch between them while riding, which is very useful in summer when you can run a lean map for mileage, then switch to a richer map when the going gets hot, like stop-and-go traffic. You can do this with no other EFI controller that I'm aware of.

You say you have no access to controlling the O2 sensors, and this is true--but the narrow-band system used by HD is so limited that the O2 sensors are of little benefit. Thus, eliminating them altogether is IMO not a limitation.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 06Heritage

Is there anybody besides me that reads these post about tuning EFI, and just ends up scratching their head ? [8D] And before anybody ask what im confused about.... it's pretty much... EVERYTHING. I think i'd rather tune a good old carburetor anyday.
I was more or less where you are. Didn't have a clue. Read a bunch of stuff on efi and what the sensors do. After a while it starts to make sense, more or less. I was smart enough to know the stock bike ran like **** and bought a tmax unit for my bike and got the software. This gave me more motivation to learn.After more reading and playing I now know enough to be dangerous with the laptop when I link up to the ECM. What I can't figure out someone on this forum has been through it and will work it out for me. Fear has turned into facination and wonder how the hell carbs ever worked as good as they did. There is no comparison, as in time you will see the benifits of efi. Not that there's anything wrong with a well tuned carb, but it is now old technology and will be seen less and less as time goes on. Learn the acromyms,what each one does and go from there. You can download Zippers smart link software and play with maps even if you don't have a tmax. They all follow the same basic process of how maps work.
Ron

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

So what part is throwing you guys?

Like why is this stuff so important when we did plug cuts for years?

What is VE ... I don't get it....

What the hell is a factory reflash compared to a sert download to a PCiii download?

Is the code tha same as a reflash as a map...?

What does a fuel adder do? Is a fuel adder just as good?

Aw

Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 AM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: iclick

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

Power commander has some serious limitations. They only work off base maps that PC does not let you get to. You do not have access to controling the O2s. Acceleration enrichment is rather lame (but so is AE in a sert). You get fairly limited data logging.
You say "They only work off base maps that PC does not let you get to," and by that I assume you mean the user has no access to the PC map.
I'm pretty sure he means the map in the ECM, not the PC. The PC will only adjust so far from the map in the ECM. It shouldn't be a problem for things like stage 1 or mild cams. If you start getting into big bore and bigger cams, it's better to get a SERT (or an aftermarket ECM) so you can adjust the map in the ECM.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM
cruiser85257
Road Master

WhittleBeast:

You got to be kidding...right?

The guy is totally confused and you put up that 3 dimensional Map that looks like the Landing site for the Lunar landing. That's the most complicated thing I have ever seen and makes absolutely no sense. But thanks for trying.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

WhittleBeast:

The guy is totally confused and you put up that 3 dimensional Map that looks like the Landing site for the Lunar landing. That's the most complicated thing I have ever seen and makes absolutely no sense. But thanks for trying.
That is simply a 3D graph that the SERT software will make for you to give you a visual representation of each tuning variable. You load a map then pick one of the tables and hit the graph button and you get a 3 dimensional color picture of what is going on in that specific table. Very helpful...

Old 02-03-2008, 08:08 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

WhittleBeast:

I am totally serious. If you take this in one concept at a time, it really is not that bad. If you start with my comments on the second post and then look at that map is showing you... and this all start making sence. It justtakes some time to get your head around.

If you start with ...

At idle the motor has a really tought time sucking the air thru a closed throttle sothe VE sucks. like 70% or so

At3000 and 4000 and full throttle everything is right in the sweet spot (filter, intake, cam, exhaust) soairis filling the motor is near perfect or 100%. So the fuelneeds to also be rightnear 100%

At real high RPMyou start running out offilter, intake, cam and orexhaust. Up here the VE starts dropping off the 100% numbers. You also will see the torque start dropping of up there on the dyno.

Hope this is helping bring things in to focus.

AW

Quick Reply: Totally confused