Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Closed loop fuel management system

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM
athompson
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Closed loop fuel management system

I recently bought an '06 Road Glide. I had the 103 big bore kit with Richardson tru-duals installed. I have an occasional cough at 1900-2000 RPM. The dealer said I will have to have it tuned out on a dyno. I have been reading about the Terry Components Terminal VelocityII Fuel Management Systems that is a closed loop system. Has anyone tried this system?

Old 01-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Closed loop fuel management system

Hi Andy, welcome to the HDForum from New Zealand. [sm=welcomesign.gif]

No haven't tried them, but I would go with the dyno before anything.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Anything you put on it will have to be dyno'ed to be tuned right.

Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at that system, very impressive. This is a fairly new technology for performance EFI. I started hearing about it a year or so ago. I have digital EFI on my performance car, so I've become pretty familer with how they aork. Here's generally how it works.

A closed loop system will read the exhaust gases and adjust the mixture accordingly. It hapens a number of times per second, so it's pretty responsive. It starts working somewhere above idle, and to about 85% of full throttle. Those parameters depend on the factory set up, of course. The factory system uses a narrow band sensor, which only sense and corrects about 15-20%. SO the map has to be fairly close, then the sensor does the rest. For off idle to whatever, and above 85% the map has to be spot on. That's an easy thing for a factory to do. It's much cheaper to for the factory to use standard 4 wires sensors and a standard map.

The new systems are pretty trick. It uses a wide band WEGO sensor, that's accurate from 10:1 to 25:1, and will correct from below idle to redline and full throttle. All you have to do is get the engine to start, and the computer does the rest. Just start it up cold, drive it around until warm, do a full throttle blast or two, and you're done. The computer builds it's own maps as you ride. This is really slick. When you change parts, just do it again. No hooking up to a computer, or running on a dyno.

When Haltech comes out with an updated WEGO version, I'll probably be buying one. Nothing like having the perfect tune no matter what.

Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
ItsaHarley
Advanced

I emailed Terry components and was intrigued about the system too. They were quick to respond. The system IS the dyno. It analyzes realtime what your engine is doing and adjusts accordingly. Pretty slick. My question to them is if it will work my my '06 Dyna (already a closed loop system) and they said yes.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Terry components FI system has a single o2 sensor if I'm not mistaken. Will that work for the 06 dyna's?

Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 PM
athompson
6th Gear

OK, I have put about 200 mi on my bike since my install. It started up immediately. It ran a little rough at first but smoothed out after the little green light quit flashing indicating it was in the closed loop mode. The first 30-50 miles it ran good but could have been a little smoother. As it approached 100 miles it really smoothed out. The bike runs much smoother overall and I have not been able to make it cough again. "Seat-of-the-pants" feel is a stronger pull in 2nd and 3rd, and at around 70 I don't feel the need to downshift as much as I did before. I also felt that it was not burdoned as much with my wife on the back as it was prior to the install. I am anxious to see if my gas mpg will increase the 20% claimed.

Old 02-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Branded
Road Master

I see the system only has one sensor. How does it read both cyl. when running tru duals. Also whats the system run as far a price.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:15 PM
athompson
6th Gear

I had that concern myself but in the instructions, it clearly states that either pipe will do. I have a 96 Vette and there are 4 O2 sensors in its closed loop system; one before each cat and one after each cat. On the Rineharts, the bung is placed perfectly for the O2 sensor installation on the right side. I did not have to loosen the exhaust or anything else, it screwed right in with plenty of clearance. In the instruction sheet, it has you solder all the wiring conections. In their online instruction it shows that vampire clips are included. Not so. There probably was an issue with good conections. The bike's wiring harness is probably an 18 gauge wire where the wires on the conversion module are 22 or 24. I went ahead and where the clip was going to cut through the smaller wire, I stripped a very small section so the metal connector would make good contact. I paid $525 plus freight from Terry Components. I found it a couple of other places through distributors for over $600.

Andy

Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
Branded
Road Master

Its on E Bay right now for 429.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Quick Reply: Closed loop fuel management system