Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Closed loop fuel management system

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Closed loop fuel management system

Athompson: Just got my TV today and was reading the instructions about splicing the wiring. It kinda implies to make the splices inside the grey ECM connector body. Is that what you did? Or did you just splice them in a little farther up the wiring harness? It would be a pretty tight fit to splice them so the splices are inside the connector, especially getting them insulated or taped. Where did you put yours?
Thanks,
Skippy

Old 03-13-2006, 10:00 AM
mori55
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else tried the terry unit ?

Old 03-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Skippy49
Tourer

To answer my own question, I talked to Terry and they said to make the splices up in the harness, you just need to open the connector to check/verify wire color coding. I soldered all of mine in and put all the wires in two to three layers of shrink tubing to help protect it as they are awfully small wires. But I've still got to put an oversize gear on the cam so I can get that back together. then I'll find out how well it works. I wish they used a slightly larger gauge of wire for the TV unit connections.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Skippy49
Tourer

I finally got my bike finished up with the S&S570 gear cam install and the Terry Components Terminal Velocity install. Installing the TV was pretty simple as I had the exhaust pipe off anyway so welding in a bung wasn't too much. Soldering in the wires went pretty easily as I had all of that open also. Pretty easy to do actually.
As a reminder, I have an 03 SE Road King with factory 103, SE air cleaner, Rinehart True Duals and a Techlusion DFO. No dealer donwloads on the ECM. Removed the DFO with the TV install.
The bike took a little to start the first time, but remember I replaced cams, fuel filter, head gasket, TV unit, etc. Maybe 6-8 second of cranking. Ran fairly rough for the first couple of minutes but began to smooth up by the time it was warm enough to ride. I only rode it about 1/2 mile as it was pretty cold out, but it smoothed up a little more in than time. The next evening I got out for about 12 miles more and it got a little better. Today I got in another 20 miles or so (it was in the 30's again) and it really smoothed up and ran really good. Now some of the improvement in power is due to the cams, but I imagine some is due to the TV unit also. But it's kind of amazing to see how the bike just starts running smoother and smoother as you ride. I've only got about 30-35 miles or so total, so I've still got a ways to go to get the TV unit to get it tuned, but it's really improved immensely so far.
To sum up, at the present time, I'm very happy with the TV. It was very easy to install and seems to be working very well at tuning the bike. All with out going to a dyno for tuning. I'm not looking for all out performance, just a good, dependable running bike. And I think that the TV unit is accomplishing that. And it may even be as good as a dyno tune, but without the expense and wear on the engine.
I'll let you know when it warms up enough to get a couple of hundred miles on it, but right now I'd say it's the way to to. Plus I got mine on sale for $400. Unless you want all out performanc, I'd say closed loop is the way to go. Eliminate the trip to the dyno tuner and the expense that goes with it. And BTW, I'm a farmer, not a rep for Terry Components.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
00ultra
Advanced

I'll AMEN that !!!
Got my Terry TV II installed and running great. The idle wants to wander up to 1500 rpm at times when I stop but Keith Terry said to give it some time/miles to adjust. I just added Wild Pig slipon so now everything is readjusting. Still wants to up-idle but I only have 30 or so miles on this setup. So if it continues after about 200 mile or so I'll give Keith a call-back. Other than that I'm pleased. Note: Keith said it could be a Engine Temp Sensor problem but I've noticed that when it starts to rev up to 1500 on idle if I shut the engine off and restart it goes away. Hard to troubleshoot a problem that's not always there.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:38 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was at the Donnie Smith bike show today and got a chance to chat with Kieth Terry from Terry components, He explained in great detail how his sytem works but there is not enough room or enough of me knowing what the hell he was talking about to repeat it all here. What I did learn is that this sytem will work with the existing 06 Dyna 02 sensor, Being it is only a 2 wire sensor, he puts a delay in his piece to give the 02 sensor time to heat up. His 02 sensor is a 4 wire and heats up electrically. He says his sytem gives fuel when needed only, unlike a DFO which adds a specified amount. I have a Revtech DFO on my 05 Ultra (88cube 510 S&S SE slip ons) and I am quite happy with the way it runs with the exception of decel popping,but it is only on extreme decel. He says his sytem will not have the problem of decel popping. I really enjoyed talking with him and he is a real down to earth easy guy to deal with. I am considering trying this on my 06 Street bob when It comes in(May) My plan is to go with 95 inch flat tops, ported heads, Andrews cams(If they ever get them done) Had planned on going with a SERT but may still consider using the terrycomp instead. He claims his sytem will support this build with a stage one download. If anyone has experience with this on an 06 with a similar build I would love to hear about it.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:47 PM
Shrek
Tourer

Looks like a lot of people installed TVll in March/April. Is everyone still likeing them 3-5 months later.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:38 AM
One_Screamin_Eagle
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the Terry system uses one 02 sensor, only one cylinder will be correct.