Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
bumpdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal disassembly

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but can anyone tell me how to take apart the front turn signals. I'm trying to replace the switch control housings and I can't figure out how else to remove the turn signal wire that gets routed through the lower half of the housing. I'm assuming that after you remove the front cover of the turn signal you can get it open by removing the rubber seal. I just can't seem to break it free without damaging it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!![sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-02-2008, 09:36 PM
bumpdog
Intermediate
Default RE: Turn signal disassembly

Well I got the turn signal apart but now I have to try and figure out how to get the wires disconnected from the interior part of the turn signal. I talked to a mechanicfrom the dealer where i bought the bike. He said there is a tool that you can buy to take the little metal rivets off. Wow this is turning out to be a nightmare. Thinking i might just take it to the dealer and hand them all of the parts.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:54 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: bumpdog

Well I got the turn signal apart but now I have to try and figure out how to get the wires disconnected from the interior part of the turn signal. I talked to a mechanicfrom the dealer where i bought the bike. He said there is a tool that you can buy to take the little metal rivets off. Wow this is turning out to be a nightmare. Thinking i might just take it to the dealer and hand them all of the parts.
No need to do it from the signal end. It is very easy to access the signal plugs from right behind the neck at the bottom of the frame member. Just remove the plastic piece and the connectors are right there.

Once disconnected, you can gently pull the connectors through the frame and out the neck, relocate the signals, then feed the connectors and excess back through the neck and frame. This allows you to keep the excess in the event you ever want to go back to stock location (not......).

Old 02-03-2008, 07:31 AM
bumpdog
Intermediate

Well actually, I'm not looking to relocate the signals. I'm just reaplcing the switch housings. The wire that connects theturn signal goes right through the bottom of the housing and then right into the top of the turn signal. I'm just looking to disconnect the turn signal wire temporaily so thatI can remove the lower stock switch housing and replace it with a chrome one. There is also a little rubber stopper (I'm assuming to preventmoisture fromentering the signal) that is a real bi*^^ to remove as well. Is it just easier to cut in and replace it or is there an easier way to remove that as well. First priority though is getting that damn signal wire free.

This is not a turn signal relocation project.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:01 AM
ShoreRider
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My bad....guess I shouldn't read the forums before getting that 1st cup of coffee down.