Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:24 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors

I read on Nightriders where their Wide Band O2 kit has to be calibrated before its first use, that is only if you don't have them set the AFR. If you have them set it then they do the first calibration.

They say the Wide Band sensors have to be Calibrated after 3 months, and then every 20,000 miles. Calibration involves pulling the O2 sensor out into the fresh air and hooking up a 12 volt source to it and allowing it to heat up for a set period of time.

It got me to wondering about the Tmax and their wide band sensors. Is this schedule of calibration necessary for their wide band sensors too?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors

I'm not famailiar with Tmax'srecommendationsbut I have been using NTK and Bosch wide band O2 sensors since they used to cost $900.00 per sensor, to this day, all require regular recalibration because they drift due to constantheat cycling and contamination.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:16 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

That was a new one on me so I went searching.

I could find nothing in any search about calibrating O2 sensors, not eventhe Bosch site has any information on calibrating and they designed the O2 sensor in 1976.

All I could find was replacement recommendations which are:

unheated oxygen sensors on 1976 to early 1990s vehicles every 30,000-50,000 miles HD/Delphi OEM

Heated (1st gen) oxygen sensors on mid-1980s to mid-1990s vehicles every 60,000 miles

Heated (2nd gen) oxygen sensors on mid-1990s and newer vehicles every 100,000 miles. T-Max

BTW I'd like a link to the Nightrider page about calibrating wide band O2 sensors because I can't find it. And I noticed its only supposed to be wide band sensors (?) sounds to me like oil thats tooooo slipperyand cylinder liner porosity.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

With the TMAX you don't need to do anything unless your going to take power away from the ECM.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

fxrp,below is a copy of Pg 10 of the Operators Manual for the Innovative LC-1 that uses the Bosch WBO2 sensor. I suspect that Innovative is the mostpopular brandA/F monitoring systems supplied today. Every wide band O2 system that I have ever used, 5 or 6, requires periodic sensor recalibration. Obviously that does not mean that all do. Also, compared to the NTK brand of wide band, the Bosch WBO2 is more sensitive to inaccuracy caused by pressure, such as exhaust backpressure. Especially us turbo users have to be aware of this.
4.3 Calibration Schedule
Normally aspirated daily driver:
- Calibrate before installation of new sensor
- Calibrate new sensor again after 3 month of use
- Thereafter calibrate once a year or every 20,000 miles, whichever comes first
Turbo car, daily driver (tuned rich):
- Calibrate before installation of new sensor
- Calibrate new sensor again after 3 month of use
- Thereafter calibrate twice a year or every 10,000 miles, whichever comes first
Race car
- Calibrate before first installation of new sensor
- Calibrate once per race weekend
Dyno use
- Calibrate a new sensor
- Calibrate every 2-3 days, depending on usage

Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 AM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

I read on Nightriders where their Wide Band O2 kit has to be calibrated before its first use, that is only if you don't have them set the AFR. If you have them set it then they do the first calibration.

They say the Wide Band sensors have to be Calibrated after 3 months, and then every 20,000 miles. Calibration involves pulling the O2 sensor out into the fresh air and hooking up a 12 volt source to it and allowing it to heat up for a set period of time.

It got me to wondering about the Tmax and their wide band sensors. Is this schedule of calibration necessary for their wide band sensors too?
I have a better solution. Since We've worn 3 cars out that had them and never did the above and all contiued to work, one for 10 years now I'll use the same approach for the Tmax units. If it works don't f%^&k with it. If when I link up and they pull the correct numbers, good to go. In other words, no code , ride it.
Ron

Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

FXRP: Here you go.

Here's the manual read page 9 and 10.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...C-1_Manual.pdf

Here's the page they came from: http://www.nightrider.com/parts/lc1_install_00.htm

Old 01-27-2008, 04:56 PM
geargrinder
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rbabos

I have a better solution. Since We've worn 3 cars out that had them and never did the above and all contiued to work, one for 10 years now I'll use the same approach for the Tmax units. If it works don't f%^&k with it. If when I link up and they pull the correct numbers, good to go. In other words, no code , ride it.
Ron
That's amazingforwide band O2s. Are you sure thatthey were not thenormal stocknarrow band O2s?If so, that would not surprise me to see them last that long.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM
rbabos
Banned

Probably narrow band on the three Chrysler products,being close to the engine and not way back on the tail pipe,but it is still amazing how long they can last .
Ron

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

Cruiser,

Learn something everyday. I didn't read in detail 'cause I go with rbabos, ride it like you stole it, if it fails an emissions test or throws acode, deal with it.

Quick Reply: Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors