Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors

ORIGINAL: fxrp

Cruiser,

Learn something everyday. I didn't read in detail 'cause I go with rbabos, ride it like you stole it, if it fails an emissions test or throws acode, deal with it.
I too was not aware of suchthing as calibration. Not that I will bother with it, it is interesting none the less. Sometimes too much knowledge keeps you in the shed wrenching instead of out riding.
Ron

Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rbabos:

I'm on the threshold of making a decison soon as to what fuel mngt I am going to try next. I ran across this article about calibrating the sensors and of course have concerns. It even makes me wonder if the stock O2 sensors need to be calibrated.

Now they come out with a new and improved SERT. Just too many choices now....LOL

Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
rbabos
Banned

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Rbabos:

I'm on the threshold of making a decison soon as to what fuel mngt I am going to try next. I ran across this article about calibrating the sensors and of course have concerns. It even makes me wonder if the stock O2 sensors need to be calibrated.

Now they come out with a new and improved SERT. Just too many choices now....LOL

Man, you're gonna give yourself an ulcer. You'll feel better once you make the decision.
Ron

Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

Ron & Cruiser,

If calibration was necessary I don't see why T-Max wouldn't have it in the instructions. Obviously calibrating O2 sensors is a fact but why leave that info out of the documentation?

From what little I read I wonder if its something with the LC-1 module, like the T-Max finding home position for the throttle and IAC during initialization? Neither Zipper's or HD make any mention of calibrating.

Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,686 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I've been using wide band sensors for the past 12 + years and they all need calibrating, does not matter who's they are. You have to be careful when using the term wide band as there are several sensors that people today call wide band and they are not any where's close to the same thing. If you take a good NTK sensor and look at it's specification and then look at the Bosch sensor used by the Innovative unit they are no where close to the same. The Bosch sensor has about 1/2 the range of the NTK sensor and the accuracy,stability, repeatability and temperature performance between the two are completely different. The good NTK sensor is about $900 and the Bosch about $55. Does anyone wonder why the cost is so different?

Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 PM
fxrp
Cruiser

I've been using wide band sensors for the past 12 + years and they all need calibrating, does not matter who's they are.

Steve,

OK, I agreecalibrating O2 sensorsis for real, butthen the question still stands. Why doesn't HD, DTT, ThunderMax,HQ Pro Tuner, or the others popping up require calibration of the sensors?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:03 PM
rbabos
Banned

Now that somebody had to open this can of worms, what wires do you connect and for how long on the tmax units?Not saying I'm going to do it, but don't hurt to know should some day I get ****.
Ron

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 PM
cruiser85257
Road Master

Ron:

I would suggest that one of us call Nightrider and ask some of these questions. After all they are the one who put this manual up. They also offer calibration of their WB sensors if you have them preset the AFR for you.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Now that somebody had to open this can of worms, what wires do you connect and for how long on the tmax units?Not saying I'm going to do it, but don't hurt to know should some day I get ****.
Ron
Why not just call Zippers and ask em? This is the first I have ever heard of doing anything but replacing a bad sensor which I have neve had on anything but ABS wheel speed sensors in my truck.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Ron
Let me see if I can help unravel this"can of worms", especially being I helped create it. The BoschLSU4 series of WBO2 sensor, used by Tmax, wasdesigned in the mid 90s for various OEM automotive limitedapplications such as certainVolkswagon models. A few years later this inexpensive WBO2 sensor was found to work fairly well in air to fuel ratio monitoring equipment, providing that it was re-calibrated regularly. Such equipment is often used in very high performance applications whereaccuracy is very critical. The original question that started this post referred to such equipment.

To my knowledge, this sensor, when installed by the OEM in stock engines, such as Volkswagon,does not have a recalibration proceedure and apparentlyitis considered accurate enoughfor such applications. I would assume that Tmax also considers the sensor to belike this.

Here is where I was misleading. Myprevious post statingsomething to the affect that I have neverseen a WBO2 sensor used without a calibration proceedure, thisis true for A/F ratio monitoring equipment, my only exposure to this sensor, however, I stand corrected, when used in other applications, this may not be true.

Quick Reply: Thundermax calibration of O2 sensors