Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New HD self tune race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 01:35 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: New HD self tune race tuner

ORIGINAL: LeftcoasterI do my best to research everything I can - that is why I'm reading this forum. If thereis a class on EFI I will be there - this is the future.
Here is a stating place for the basic concepts of EFI. This is written buy one of the programmers over at Megasquirt. These are the guys that write the logic that the maps feed. These guys are good. This isin no waybiased to any one type of install such as Harley or Chevy.

http://www.extraefi.co.uk/basic_efi.htm

AW

Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
flhtc07ok
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shovelhead Bob,

You've nailed it down to the floor - what you've said is exactly what I'd like to have - heavy on the 'reliable' part.

But, like so many others, I can't tell when the dealer is delivering 5 pounds of S**T on a silver platter. I just moved here and still new to the area and the dealer. Not enough contacts yet to rely on the 'word of mouth' reputation of the dealer's dyno tech. If I lived closer to you or Doc - I'd be there, but I don't and playing with the cards dealt itmight be a bluff.

I loaded Cal #78 when I got the SERT -IMO it was a huge improvement over the base Stage 1 dump the dealer did when I took delivery last May. I've been running that since last November and now that the weather here in Tennesse is just about pleasant, I want to get the bike on the dyno and go out and enjoy the ride.

Thanks again for putting some good info out there for others to make decisions based on their own needs and expectations.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Right on Bob....can't add anything to that.....not bad for a guy from Pennsytuckey

Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Think Babe would be proud??????

Naaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ he was more concerned with doing it PERFECT the only time, and it never comes back.....

Old 02-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,687 Likes on 1,670 Posts

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

ORIGINAL: Steve Cole

The huge bumps as you call it belong in a HD map. They are cause by the firing order of the HD 2 cylinder motor. Will they need to be move or changed with an engine combination change? YES, but they will still be there in a properly tuned HD twincam engine.
If the dips are a result of one cylinder swiping fuel from the other cylinder then why don't you see the opposite bump and dipon the other cylinders VE map?
On a properly tuned Map you will see the bumps or dips are in different places on the front and rear cylinder. They will be different from combination to combination so do not expect them to all look the same. It will never be the complete opposite as the intake plays a role into what's happening. You want to really screw up the way a map looks put a divided runner intake in place and watch what happens. There is not a one size fits all fix guys, that is the reason for different base Maps, but remember they are just that, a base Map for a tuner to start with that will be close as long as you used the recommended parts. You can run a properly tune HD at 14.6 and it works just fine. The down side is that it will also run warmer so you need to look at running temperature and adjust accordingly. Running the engine richer will help cooling but at some point kill the mileage. So the tuner plays as much as a role as the tool that allows him to do his job.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shovelhead Bob

All I am gonna say is that the programming is no different, the VCI (Dongle) has a "Road Test" capability, and it is updateable via FTP updating....

I have seen it first hand, and it is pretty neat....

I do not know what I can and cannot divuldge.....

If it is released at the WDM, then I will post all that I know about the "Super Tuner"....

Bob
Any word when the new SERT will be available. I'm taking delivery of my new Ultra in early April and expect to have it tuned in early May - do you think they will be available then? Will it have a new part #?

Thanks

Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I'm just toad stupid. I've got a handle on my open loop '06 model, but this closed loop system has me stifled. Every time there's an answer more questions raise their ugly heads.
I'm trying to figure out how you can read a 12.5 to 1 AFR with sensors that are only capable of reading 14.2-14.7when tuning with the SERT. I don't doubt your word, I just don't understand.
Also, if I understand you correctly, you can dial in any AFR at any throttle position you chose with the SERT.Where then do the NB sensors come intoplay? Whywouldn't WB sensors be a better choice? How is this done without converting to open loop?
Lastly, this all sounds very time consuming. How much dyno time is usually required to tune a bike withthe SERT? Say an '07 with SE air filter and V&H Truduals.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

Available now... already installed 2 of them, with more in the sights......

They are really nice....

Old 02-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Leftcoaster

I guess I'm just toad stupid. I've got a handle on my open loop '06 model, but this closed loop system has me stifled. Every time there's an answer more questions raise their ugly heads.
I'm trying to figure out how you can read a 12.5 to 1 AFR with sensors that are only capable of reading 14.2-14.7when tuning with the SERT. I don't doubt your word, I just don't understand. (You have to use a Load Controlled Dyno with o2 capabilities, or a DTT/WEGO to get an accurate AFR @ load reading)
Also, if I understand you correctly, you can dial in any AFR at any throttle position you chose with the SERT.(Any AFR within reason) Where then do the NB sensors come intoplay? (When the "Desired AFR" table is set back to the baseline, the o2's are active when the Closed Loop sector of the map is at 14.6... That is the switching target) Whywouldn't WB sensors be a better choice? (For a hack tune, yes... but a PROPERLY tuned SERT ECM with o2's relies on the Base map to be within 10% of desired outputs... Look, even the T-Max relies on a base map as a starting point, just like the SERT, it's just that the SERT requires a better/closer base map.) How is this done without converting to open loop? (All tuning is done at an "Open Loop" mode.... The DESIRED AFR is set to 13 across the board, as a TARGET AFR, after the Target AFR is achieved across the spectrum, the Desired AFR is reset back to baseline...)
Lastly, this all sounds very time consuming. How much dyno time is usually required to tune a bike withthe SERT? Say an '07 with SE air filter and V&H Truduals. (Depends on the competency and knowledge of the tuner... our shop charges 5 hours of labor, and a guarantee that it won't come back for a retune.... I have yet to need to honor that part of it... Doc 1 will tell you the mentality of the shop that I work at.. it is done right the first and only time, and it better not come back, or it is on your own dime. PERIOD!!!!!)

Old 02-14-2008, 08:26 PM
rkadair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Leftcoaster

How do you tell the time after daylightsavings ???

Quick Reply: New HD self tune race tuner