Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New HD self tune race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:47 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: New HD self tune race tuner

I plan to do real time data logging on the old style sert thru a wireless connection back to a chase vehical doing the dataloging. The old style SERT does have a form of autotuning assuming you have 02's hooked up and the majority of the AFR map is set to 14.6 AFR. This trick does not work in the high load sections of the map but t-max and any other system watching o2's is sketchy at best on an acceleratingmotor. By the time the o2 registers the correct AFR, the RPM has changed. Narrow bands work great at auto tuning as long as you are very steady on the throttle and there is no dead miss in the motor.

I plan to tune, drive for a couple of hundred miles, and redatalog looking for patterns in the VE New conpared to the VE and making corrections as required. For high load sections of the map, I plan to usemy Innovate widebandwith dataloging capability.

There are twothings I am having trouble getting my head around. Does the self learn section of the SERT constently change the VE in the SERT or does it really have a seperate changing table that is the correction that is used to correct the programed VE? There is a basic differance in what the datalogs will look like with time.

The other thing is the HUGE holes and walls in the canned VE maps. Why in pray tell are they there? Look at 20 or so VE maps and you will see what I am looking at. Very strange and very difficult to explain.

Still reading and learning....

AW

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Well I stand corrected......not a self tuner at all. But it is supposed to be much better than the SERT as far a capabilities. It should be on the shelves this Summer.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Here is a screen shot of the fuel wall I am trying to understand. This happens to be a standard map for a Sporty stage one. The diagram on the left is normalized so that you get a feeling of just how vilent the wall is.It would be most noticable at about 4000 RPM as you roll on the throttlefrom about 10% to 15%.

Note that the left graph has RPM and Throttle position swaped as most of the other EFI programes present these graphs. This is the direction and scale that I am used to seeing it in MS software.

AW

Old 01-30-2008, 02:19 PM
jonylost
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, getting back to the the tuning basics. Am I crazy to just have the stock ECM re-mapped for about $150 and the local dealer? I added a Stage 1 air filter and Rinehart slip-ons. That will be just about it for a long while due to money and moving ect ect.........

Will re-mapping be up to the task?

Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

The stock ECU has a fair amount of self tuning built in so you may be fine. The issue is those huge bumps that you see in the in the VE map are exactly the sort of thingthat can drive a canned map nuts.

Think about this possibility. If the canned map thinks that your motor will have a huge hole at 15% throttle and a huge bump at 20% but your picking a slightly different AF has moved that bump just 5% on the throttle position curve, The fuel came on too late and the hole happened right where the peak should have been according to the canned map....Wow things can be really messed up.

If I was the guyissuing the canned map, I would have never put those huge bumps and dipsinto the base map. Let the autotune and or tuner find them.

AW

Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,687 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The huge bumps as you call it belong in a HD map. They are cause by the firing order of the HD 2 cylinder motor. Will they need to be move or changed with an engine combination change? YES, but they will still be there in a properly tuned HD twincam engine.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:49 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Steve Cole

The huge bumps as you call it belong in a HD map. They are cause by the firing order of the HD 2 cylinder motor. Will they need to be move or changed with an engine combination change? YES, but they will still be there in a properly tuned HD twincam engine.
If the dips are a result of one cylinder swiping fuel from the other cylinder then why don't you see the opposite bump and dipon the other cylinders VE map?

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have any problem bashing SERT or the stock EFI used on '07/'08,s. The EPAtied HD's handsso this is what we get and it's poor as a pinch of urine.While it is true that all EFI's adjust for altitude, etc. that adjustment is limited to a 14.7 to 1 AFR (14.2 at best) on the HD setup.No getting around it without an aftermarket modifier, boys. I don't like it, but ifI want more power and a cooler running bike a SERT won't and can'tdo it - no way, no how. The best tuner in the world cannot change the limiting factor of 14.2 to 1 - but a PowerCommander, TMAX, TwinTec,etc. can and does.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

14.2 in a light load area is not a lean condition. Sorry to hear you can't seem to tune a bike well enough to stop it from detonating or running too hot.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy who is an ex-service manager tells me the first thing he turns off when modifying bikes is the anti-knock sensing. Who wants their hot rod Harley to retard the timing? I advanced the timing on my Tmax to account for my Andrews cams and it came alive. Don't need no stinking anti-knock sensors!

Quick Reply: New HD self tune race tuner