Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

New HD self tune race tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:10 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: New HD self tune race tuner

ORIGINAL: Dalton

The SERT with a Pro-tuner, T-Max, and DTT will adjust the A/F ratios through a much broader range, meaning that the riding conditions don't impact the tune as much and changing any operating pieces such as an air filter, exhaust etc will eventually be compensated for by the system, not the case with a SERT alone.
Exactly.....and here in NE Ohio where the weather changes everyday and sometimes 2-3 times a day that capability is really important. I have the SERT now and have had it tuned and finally have developed my own "butt dyno" map that is really good. But it's not variable enough for my liking based on the ambient weather conditions here. If I don't like the T-Max, I'll reinstall the SERT and the Delphi ECM. But based on what I read I doubt that will happen.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesnt the Tmax eliminate the knock sensor?Sounds like Map sensor too.If its tuning a lower gear area at a certain rpm,what happens when youre in a higher gear at that same rpm?S&S has recently come out with a auto tuner,havent seen it on their web site but advertised in magazine.I guess it boils down to what the owner is capable of,what tuners are in his area,cost,bike mods etc.With more competition should come a better product unless the EPA steps in.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:54 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard a rumor that they were using a different program,but didn't hear it was self tune.
That'd be cool.....
I let you know next week!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 PM
rkadair
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[blockquote]

[/quote]

Ok, I will grant that you are partially correct. The SERT and even the stock HD ECM will tune within certain parameters. It will keep the A/F where the factory want it[/blockquote]

[ul][*]not true you can program the A/F [/ul]

with the stock narrow band O2 sensors

[ul][*]Wish people would stop saying narrow band 02's 99% of cages use narrow band sensors[/ul]

but once you get outside the narrow capabilites of the systems, they wont compensate enough.

[blockquote]
Your right and its the same with cages go to far and you will get engine light code
too rich or too lean most chevys and fords I have tuned its 10% + or - on fuel
[/blockquote]

Yes, guys riding with EFI systems that go from sea level to 10,000 ft elevations will get pinging as the system does not have enough adjustability to kep the A/F in check.

[blockquote]
This just not true[/blockquote]

Add a free flowing air filter and exhaust, what happens- runs leaner and pings, cannot adjust beyond narrow parameters.

[blockquote]
This where a sert is used[/blockquote]

The SERT with a Pro-tuner, T-Max, and DTT will adjust the A/F ratios through a much broader range,

[blockquote]
This is true[/blockquote]

meaning that the riding conditions don't impact the tune as much

[blockquote]
This is not true[/blockquote]

and changing any operating pieces such as an air filter, exhaust etc will eventually be compensated for by the system,

[blockquote]
Your right this is what the sert was make to do[/blockquote]

not the case with a SERT alone.

None of the systems will self tune the timing,

[blockquote]
This is not true A sert will, this is the function of the knock sensor[/blockquote]

and if the timing is screwed, then so is the rest of the tune. Timing though can be adjusted in small increments by a competent tuner (owner) until it is pretty darn close, close enough that only a dyno will know the difference, then A/F wil dial in based on the parameters you put in the system.

The Delphi system does what it was desgined to do very well on a stock bike,but it was not designed to deal with engine mods on its own.

[blockquote]
You are right thats why there is a sert so you can tune it

[/quote] [/blockquote]

Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

I sorry this may be a stupid question, but does the Sert replace the ECM like a Tmax does? I don't know I don't have one, just asking.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No m8 it allows you to reprogramme certain aspects of the ecm.

AFR, VE, timeing, rev limit, CLB (a simple way of increasing AFR from 14.6:1 to about 14.1:1),to read error codes, and log live data as you ride(with the help of a laptop), etc.

Nothing physical stays on the bike.

WB

Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM
mtb017
Advanced

To get back to the original topic of this thread....what is the latest info from HD on a new race tuner being available? Does anyone have any solid information about this? I have seen other posts where it is discussed that the latest L version of SERT has been pulled, and a new SERT will be available but without the usual CD. I just purchased a SERT and have yet to have it installed. Mine is the H version with maps for the 08's. Is HD going to go with a completely different system now, or just and update of the old? Not looking for rumors or speculation, but usually someone on here has advanced info before the dealers even know!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:37 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the dealer show.....it's just a different program, not self tune.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

It should be released today....the dealers already have the bulletin with the changes. It is a complete new unit with the same active tables as before but a new software to access the tuning tables. It will be USB compatible but I don't know if it will be Vista compatible or not. Maybe Shovelhead Bob will chime in and enlighten us a bit more on the new SERT.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
mtb017
Advanced

Thanks for the replies! Yep, shovelhead usually has the latest "scoop". I just hope mine isn't obsolete already, I havent even had it installed yet!

Quick Reply: New HD self tune race tuner