Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Run with mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 AM
rtcook
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run with mods?

I need some opinions before I might ruin something. I've modded my 05 Road King with a SE Stage I A/C, SE Touring slip ons and will be converting to True Duals with a Torres kit. I know that it needs remapped, but I'm not sure what direction to go in. I could buy a PCIII or a SERT and do it myself, but can I run the bike long enough to get it to my nearest HD dealer and let them do it? My concern is I might damage something in the process. The closest HD dealer is 40-50 miles from me. I really don't plan on making any other changes, so the PCIII or SERT seems to be an expensive route. I have no clue what HD would charge me to do it and will the ECM be able to be returned to stock. I am hearing not. Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

Old 12-30-2007, 09:13 AM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Run with mods?

You won´t hurt anything. I know a guy who changed out his air cleaner and pipes 3 years ago and still hasn't got around to getting it remapped. You will justlose gas mileage and preformance.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:15 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You won't hurt anything by just swapping headpipes. It may run better with a tuner, but it will be fine if you don't.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:05 AM
hoelwill
Advanced

Hey Roger,

Does your bike has stage 1 download?

I am in the same situation as you, or maybe more...
05 RKC
Stage 1 A/C
SE Touring muffles
203 Cam
Stage 1 download.

I am changing my header to B&E true Dual though.

I have heard about changing to true dual(either V&H, Fullsac, Torres, B&E) will cause Engine Check light to turn on on FI bike.

Not sure if it is true....

Do keep each other posted on the "upgrade" here....

Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 AM
rtcook
Novice

I have no download yet. The stage I A/C is in and the Torres true duals will be ordered probably today to go with my SE Touring slip ons. I plan on installing it all myself and then taking the bike to HD to have them remap it. I don't see any need at this point in buying a SERT or PCIII because I don't plan on doing any further modifications. I was just concerned about causing any damage to the bike on the drive there.

Roger

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you say map do you mean the stage 1 download?

Old 01-08-2008, 06:55 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

With these Changes you do need to have your Bike Remappedmainly because of the Cam Change.

ORIGINAL: hoelwill

Hey Roger,

Does your bike has stage 1 download?

I am in the same situation as you, or maybe more...
05 RKC
Stage 1 A/C
SE Touring muffles
203 Cam
Stage 1 download.

I am changing my header to B&E true Dual though.

I have heard about changing to true dual(either V&H, Fullsac, Torres, B&E) will cause Engine Check light to turn on on FI bike.

Not sure if it is true....

Do keep each other posted on the "upgrade" here....

Old 01-08-2008, 04:11 PM
rtcook
Novice

I thinkdownload and mapping are the same thing. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong."Stage I download" is the term Harley Davidson uses and others just call it remapping because you are changing the maps or tables.

Roger

Old 01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
hoelwill
Advanced

ok ok IceHeritage, you just made me stood up from my chair and getting a little nervous right now, coz i am holding on to the 2 pipes on my hands...

I have already had stage 1 map downloaded to the ECM when the cam was changeda year ago. It didn't pop, knock, ping whatsoever. I thought i am pretty happy with it.
Read the plugs too, ceramic is good, except the metal ring part has a little build-up of black stuffs.(can be scrapped away)

So if i need to remap/redownload a new map due to the true dual change..pplease let me know..meanwhile i think i will hold on to the pipe swap, which was suppose to start a few hours later... Thanks!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:00 PM
rtcook
Novice

Hoelwill,

I just ordered my Torres True Dual kit today. I don't see why it would cause the check light to come on if its mapped properly. I will let you know how mine turns out in a few weeks.

Roger

Quick Reply: Run with mods?