Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Run with mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:43 AM
hoelwill
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Run with mods?

Roger,

I have just completed the pipe swap to true dual.
Man it was a painful 5 hours work.
Without a proper tool, half a bottle of WD40 and 2 weak arms..I managed to pull out the y-pipe mil by mil...
Now my whole arms are aching..

Well...The engine check light did not turn on as i was told, looks like 05 model is fine.(no butterfly valve, no O2 lambda sensor)

However, i did face a problem. the right pipe is now shorter than the left pipe. The straight pipe i got is a little shorter than the stock pipe. With my fish tail end caps, it makes the difference even more obvious...

Sound wise..i forgot to record the sound before the change, and after all the tireness, i cannot tell much difference!!! May be let me rest for a few days and i will listen again...

Haven't got time to ride the bike yet..because i need to work on the sticky throttle cable as a result of my previous WO513 handlebar change.

I will update again whenever possible.

Bottomline to your questions, so far so good, it does not hurt(notthe bike,but my arms!)changing to true dual..

Old 01-15-2008, 04:31 AM
rtcook
Novice

Yes, I do recall struggling with the Y pipe. I finally soaked it a few days with rust breaker and it came of easier. Sounds like I didn't work as hard as it as you did. Bummer the pipe lengths are not equal. What kit did you use again? My Torres kit is in the mail. Should be here any day. Hope I do not come up short, too! Honestly, I didn't think I was going to hear that much difference in tone. You have just confirmed that. My main goal was looks and to cool down that rear pipe and make the plugs burn properly. Did you happen to notice that?

Roger

Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
hoelwill
Advanced

I bought the B&E pipes. The seller and i are working something out about the length problem. hopefully both parties are happy.
Just measured the stock pipe length, it reads 14 1/4". The straight pipe reads 13 5/8", almost an inch short.
I had to pullall sections further apart tomakethe difference less noticeable..But i think it is not good for the pipe because the muffler is heavy & vibrating!

As forthe plug, i only know she was running a little too rich.(can see black carbon-like built-up around the threaded ring area. I haven't been able to ride her yet since yesterday. I just got done with the throttle cable just now. Probably i can say more about the plug next week.

Oh ya, i freaked out when i saw the white smoke coming off th true dual pipes the moment i started the engine. After a while, i realised it was the WD40 bath ispray onto the pipes...hahah!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM
hoelwill
Advanced

My ears recovered from tiredness...

and the tone is sweeeeetttt....

tot tot tot tot totttttt.....[8D]

Old 01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer picks my bike up for services. In fact he drives past 2 other dealers to pick it up. It's about 150 miles round trip for him. He usually schedules several bikes in the area for a single run. The cost is $50 for pick up and deliveryand well worth it becuase his shops labor rate is about $30/hr less than the local dealers. Might be worth asking your dealer what it cost to have the bike picked up to have the final stages completed if you're still worried about damage to the engine.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:01 AM
hoelwill
Advanced

My Final round of update.
Have been running the bike for about 2 weeks.

I am pleasantly surprise that with the to true dual header, the idle sounds more stable now(to to to to to) which is something we should expect from a FI controller.
Previously it sounds like the front injection timing is competing with the rear injection.( toto to tototo to toto...)

When pulling off, the barks has become louder..(TOK, TOK, TOK....) also i felt it more powerful now(increase torque?)

At 'high' speed of 70-80kmh(60mph?), i can change my forth gear into fifth much later. It used to be 80km max for the 5th gear change. Now i can afford to go 85-88 without hearing the 'whine' from the engine rev.

I believe all theseare pure because of the change of sound/tonefrom the exhaust.

Bottomline, i like it! best money i have put on bike so far!

My setup
05 FLHRCI
SE Air clean w K&N filter
SE 203 Cam
Stage 1 std download w/o PCIII/SERT
B&E True Dual
SE mufflers 65115-98B