Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What about HD Stage 1 Flash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 AM
ottosails
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about HD Stage 1 Flash?

I have read almost all of the tuner posts and am very impressed with this site and the opinions within. One thing I don’t hear much feedback on is anyone running with the HD Stage 1 download. I have a 08 FLHX with SE air box and Reinhardt TD’s with the Stage 1 download/flash. I have 800 plus miles on this set up and I must say it runs great. Idles good, pulls good, no pinging or popping on decal, even 6th gear roll on is fine. I am happy enough for now until the T-Max come out for 08 Touring but want to make sure I’m not doing damage.
The 800 miles and break in have been since October in cool fall weather. I worry that when it gets warm that it will run hot and lean.

My questions are:
* Is anyone else running this set up or similar with the Stage 1 download?
* Is this set up damaging lean?
* Will the O2 sensors make sure it does not get damaging lean?

I have been very intrigued with the T-Max since I first heard about it. Even my HD dealer recommended it (said he would deny it if I told anyone). I had a PCIII that worked well on an 02 FLTRI but I did drop some $$$ on the dyno to get it right. This forum has the best info on the T-Max, SERT, PCIII I have seen anywhere.

Wishing all a great New Year and warm, clear riding weather.

Tom

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What about HD Stage 1 Flash?

I run the same setup on my 07. The O2 sensors really only function during the close loop mode, and keep it lean. The download is meant for slipons Im told, so with the TDs, you should be on the lean side. I know mine is an oven in the summer. Currently looking into other systems for my bike now, ie Tmax, Sert, PC3 etc. Do a search, alot of info out there on it.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What about HD Stage 1 Flash?

I had a Stage I download on my '08 Ultra after I did a regular Stage I upgrade (SEAC and SE street performance mufflers 80491-07). The bike ran better than stock but was still a little hot since the Stage I download is EPA compliant (read that as 14.6 A/F ratio or lean but not to the point of engine damage). You should not have any engine problems prior to the time you get the T-Max, however, except thatyour bikemay run a little hot especially noticeable on warm days after coming off a long highway run and hitting a long traffic light.The O2 sensors and the ECMcontrol the closed loop lower RPM cruising and do some adjusting in that part of the performance band.Your description of your bike's performance sounds like you are OK for now. I now have a 103" build and a SERT so the lean condition on my sccoter is gone. You have done all you need to for now interim to the availability of the T-Max. If your bike doesn't pop on decel, doesn't pingand is smooth at 40 MPH in 4th gear without surging, then you should be just fine with your current setup. That last comment comes fromresearch and personal experience.