Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

More Sert Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Sert Questions

Presently have no need for a SERT. But, with nothing else do to have started researching for when the time comes that I would need one.

Anywho, I get the importance of setting the VE correction tables as a starting point. For that I would need a Dyno run and or a Twinn Scan II+. (Correct)

Looking through the maps that come with the SERT, I see big blocks of 14.6 in the AFR table. I infer from what I have read, this tells the ECU to stay closed loop in those blocks?

Looking at the Closed Loop Bias table. I infer that you are telling the ecm to target a richer or possibly leaner mix than 14.6 while running closed loop? Looking at one map, I see that the values in this table range from 467mv - 700mv.I am assuming that the voltage listed wouldcorrelate to a target ratio. If that is correct what are the upper and lower limts? Both mv and AFR?

Lastly, I read about ECM flashes from the dealer. Ie. "Stage 1 Download" "Parade Mode"(EITMS?). Is the dealer using the same map configuration for this as would be found on theCD?

Old 12-22-2007, 07:57 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: More Sert Questions

From everything you've said it sounds like you've got the basic idea. I've been advised to max out the Closed Loop Bias table(s). I believeit causes the closed loop operation to run at something richer than 14.6. Not sure about the value but 13.8 comes to mind right now. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will respond later. On your last comment, HD is going to comply with the EPA so they're not going to offer any dealer ECM flashes that are any richer than absolutely necessary. The SERT (or an aftermarket fuel management) and a dyno tune is the only way to achieve maximum torque but "data mode" recording & tweaking will produce very satisfying results.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 AM
TNBagger
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a SERT installed on my '08 Ultra and used map 100 with the CLB tables maxed out to 798. That improves the A/F ratio from 14.6 to 14.1. The bike ran very smoothly without any popping on decel or flat spots and got in the low 40's MPG. I am running all SE parts (SEAC and SE street performance mufflers 64985-07) so the SERT maps are a good fit. Ihad a stage I download before the SERT but the bike still ran lean (and hot)at 14.6 AFRbecause the Stage I download is EPA compliant. The SERT basic map performed better than a stage I download.

I now have a 103" build using SERT map 106. Again the basic map works well with my SE parts. My dealer told me that a SERT map is more like the old stage II off road downloads which aren't available anymore. Messing around with the SERT timing or A/F ratio tableswithout a dyno tune are not something I want to experiment with. I will get a dyno tune done after I break in the new build.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 AM
fxrp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: OnTheFence

Lastly, I read about ECM flashes from the dealer. Ie. "Stage 1 Download" "Parade Mode"(EITMS?). Is the dealer using the same map configuration for this as would be found on theCD?
The stage I download from the dealer is the same as the "SE A/C & Mufflers" on the SERT CD. There are those that will tell you different but I have had to diagnose some bikes for running problems and I verified the calibration in the ECM; the "Filename Cross Reference" on the CD is the same as the HD part number for both Stage I and Stage II downloads.

That said you are obviously a researcher. You're working with the SERT software and youcan see howtime consuming a SERT tune is;it is by design,that designis tobeable to bill large amounts of time for a dyno tune. The canned maps are poor enough that even stage I requires an extensive tune. So you've got the cost of the SERT, plus the time to tune it ($350 & up), and might better figure on an oil change and a new rear tire when its done.

Before you buy into the SERT look at the Thundermax, it's less than a SERT+ tune and it is a performance based wide band closed loop system as opposed to HDs emissions based (1976 technology) narrow band system.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fxrp

The stage I download from the dealer is the same as the "SE A/C & Mufflers" on the SERT CD. There are those that will tell you different but I have had to diagnose some bikes for running problems and I verified the calibration in the ECM; the "Filename Cross Reference" on the CD is the same as the HD part number for both Stage I and Stage II downloads.
That's what I've been worrying about! If the SERT canned maps are still EPA compliant then I don't see any reason to go that way, as I'd planned. Damm, more to think about. Good thing I've got lots of time (bike won't be here till spring). SERT, Tmax, PCIII, Fuelmoto package (PC, K&N, Rush)? What to do?

Decisions, decisions!