Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT vs PCIII

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:06 PM
scottharstad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT vs PCIII

I've read a lot on the both of these and feel a bit confused. My dealer favors thePower Commanderfor dyno tuning over the SERT. The service shopt says the Power Commander is able to make more adjustments. And also that if you put the SERT on the bike a code is changed on the bike and Harley will know if any Mods have been done with the computer. With the Power Commander you can simply take it off and put it back to stock without leaving a trail so to speak. I understand that since the Power Commander is a piggy back type system. Some of the things they were saying seems a little backwords compared to what I have been reading. They seem to know what they are talking about...their head tuner races professionally and seems to know what he is talking about. What are some of you guys point of view? Any other tuners out there? Sorry for the long post.

Scott

Old 12-22-2007, 08:22 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SERT vs PCIII

I would find a different dealer. The SERT has much more than can be tuned than the Power Commander. There are many here that are experts (I am not one). I would suggest that you pm DOC 1 and have him give you an informed opinion about what the SERT can do over the power commander, especially for an 08.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 PM
wallyn
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that it depends on what you are riding. On 07 and 08 bike the PCIII uses a O2 bypass while the SERT utilizes the info from the sensors. If you bike is equiped with sensors then I think it would be to your advantage to make use of them. Wide band sensors would be better but still at least you would be looking at your o2 readings.

Anything older than the 06 and you would be fine with the PCIII.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The O2 sensors work in such a narrow range that I wouldn't think there would be any meaningful advantage to keeping them. SERT allows you to change the A/F down to 14.2, IIRC, which might be useful, but the open-loop mode dictated by the PCIII is configurable in 225 positions along its RPM/TP grid for A/F and ignition advance, and can be adjusted for each cylinder. This is plenty of configurability, IMO.

SERT is also very configurable, but requires a qualified tech to tune it properly. Canned maps do exist, but I understand most of them obtained from HD revolve around HD components, like SE pipes and AC. If you go aftermarket you must obtain a map from a third party or perform a dyno tune, which adds another few $C to SERT's already high purchase price. The downside to SERT is that it is locked to one bike and can't be transferred to others.

The PCIII has a wealth of canned maps available, especially if purchased from Fuel Moto (www.fuelmotousa.com). Contrary to popular belief the PCIII can be used with O2 sensors, but any adjustment within the closed-loop range will be adjusted according to the dictates of the sensor, regardless of how the PCIII is configured. I wouldn't do that on my bike, however, and would run it in straight open-loop mode using the O2-sensor eliminators. The upside to PCIII is that it is cheaper than SERT and can be changed from one compatible bike to another, or removed in minutes to revert to stock operation. I personally think it is the best bang for the buck from among several strong alternatives, including SERT and T'Max, because of its price, configurablity, and availability of maps for many applications. For '06-'07 bikes make sure the PCIII has firmware v2.2.2 installed.