Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Damn Lying Volt gauge !

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Damn Lying Volt gauge !

Ok...95 Ultra. Volt gauge will read around 12 volts usually and sometimess less iif running the radio. Pulled my seat and checked voltage at the battery 13.4 volts at 2k rpm. Gauge says 12 volts. I thought the gauge needed replacing so I bought a new one ($48 for informational purposes) Put it on and it reads 11.5 to 12 volts. Checked the wiring diagram and saw the meter went through to the terminal block with a fuse. getting the same voltage there that the meter is reading. My digital meter on the batter indicates the system is charging and since it hasn't left mwe anywhere it must be. But why the low voltage at the gauge and at the fuse box? Any ideas? Places to look? things to check?

AS with any older bike, I had a number of nicked, chafed wires to fix. Done that but no matter what I do, no volts on the gauge never go above 12.5 even though a check at the batter sayd 13.4 PS I replaced the main circuit breaker already.

Help

Bubba

Old 12-10-2007, 01:44 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Damn Lying Volt gauge !

Check for corrosion, and also check what is being used as a ground for the gauge.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Mine reads a little low too. I asked a dealer tech about it and he said something like "they aren't all that accurate, just gives you an idea where things are". Ummm, yeah.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Them voltage gauges lie like sheep. Don't ask me how I know...

Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Checked output at my passing lights and it is the same as the gauge reads, about 11.5 with nothing running. Checked at the headlight 11.5 Everywhere I check a hot leg it's 11.5 except at the battery. Is there a particular bus where power goes from the battery to the different harnesses? I got the service manual but all them damn fine lines in the wiring diagram run together after a couple of beers. It just appears that battery voltage is not getting to the fuses under the fairing but having voltage drop along the way. Bike has never left me due to dead battery.

Help !!!

Bubba

Old 12-11-2007, 10:25 PM
DRAGO1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damm!!! gaugesmaybemade in China. LOL LOL. You get a higher reading at the battery then the head light or some where else. Sometimes the further away you go from the main source you lose a little.A real good volt gauge like daytonaare real good. but are a lot of money. Just make sure that battery is getting 13 or higher with a volt meter and turn on the lights turn signal etc. to see how much it drops.Then rev up rpm and watch volt meter.

I hope this helps...

Old 12-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks to all who have posted. I'm tempted to rewire the gauge to the battery directly (with fuse of course) and just disconnect the gauge wiring. That way i could see what I'm getting to the battery

thanks for your help

Bubba

Old 12-12-2007, 07:53 PM
cjuetten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem with a bad ignition switch. Take you hand held volt meter and trace the circuit back until you find your voltage lose.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like as these bikes are getting older, there are more voltage drops in the wiring, terminals, etc. The real problem is voltage drop between the battery and the gauge, thru the wiring. Ever notice how the voltage on the gauge steps down when you turn the headlight on, or brakes? The error between the gauge and the battery voltage gets worse as more current is drawn. Ohms law. I added a relay under the sidecover for the brakelights, so they dont cause the indicated voltage at the gauge to read any lower, but you can still see the turn signals, even when you turn the stereo up the gauge reads lower, but the battery voltage reads good. What I ddi on mine was to turn everything on, with the engine off. Let it sit that way a couple of minutes, and then touch all the connections you can, up in the fairing. I felt a couple that were hot, one was extremely hot. That means they are dropping voltage. Clean up and replace them, and it should help somewhat. Also, check the wire from the battery to the main breaker, and both battery grounds, including the braided one under the trans.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member

Good points bigtone

I think I'll follow your advice. I have never been left on the road (knock on wood) but seeing 11.5 volts on the meter, even though I know the battery is getting 13.5 volts just makes me nervous

Thanks to all

Bubba