Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ARRRGGGGGGHHHH Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRRGGGGGGHHHH Help!

For two hours I've been battling the ruddy ground nut on an 05 Sportster Low.

The service manual, helpfully states "remove nut and disconnect negative wire"

I can see it as clear as day, but I cannot for the life of me get to it, not with a wrench, nor socket, nor nutdriver, nor universal joint. I'm also not 100% sure what size it is. I can get an open ended 7/16 on it, but it seems a tad big. A 3/8 is definately too small. A box wrench or socket seems to not grip it at 7/16, but then this darned wiring bundle is in the way and I'm not sure I'm getting it on there properly.

Even so the wiring bundle makes it impossible to get any leverage. The best I've managed is with an open wrench moving it about 1/16 of a turn, but then I can't even get enough room to manuover the wrench back to move it again.

I have to be doing something wrong, it honestly can't be that hard. What obvious, slap me in the forehead solution am I missing.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:43 PM
scooterbooter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ARRRGGGGGGHHHH Help!

its not a 10mm either. Oh I am so frustrated I could cry.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:36 AM
zopi
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARRRGGGGGGHHHH Help!

Dude..getcha beer or whatever is handy...yeah, they put it in a schtewpid place din't they? getcha 7/16" 1/4' drive socket, put a U joint or wobbler on the socket, a nice long
extension where you can get ahold of it...and thread it in there...also helps to keep something soft that won't do much damage around to throw...usually a bottle of water for me.
throwing things helps after awhile.

getting it back on it fun too...same socket..shorter extension, tape teh nut into the socket so it doesn't fall out of there, and thread it back in...sucks but, whatcha gonna do?