Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Install with ECM Download Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:29 PM
JRAZ
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Install with ECM Download Truth?

Just came from my dealer where I am having the SERT installed on my Street Glide. Typical running lean and the 2006 EPA standards are being blamed. I made a comment that I sure wish that I hadn't spent $150 plus labor for the ECM download at delivery when I did the Stage I and just went with the SERT at that time. He said that the Dowload wasn't wasted money and that it allowed me to get more rev's out of the engine ( 6300 rpm?? vs 5500 RPM ??) and that the SERT would not have been able to do it? Not that I don't trust the service guys, but is there any truth to this statement? Appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Default RE: SERT Install with ECM Download Truth?

ORIGINAL: JRAZ

Just came from my dealer where I am having the SERT installed on my Street Glide. Typical running lean and the 2006 EPA standards are being blamed. I made a comment that I sure wish that I hadn't spent $150 plus labor for the ECM download at delivery when I did the Stage I and just went with the SERT at that time. He said that the Dowload wasn't wasted money and that it allowed me to get more rev's out of the engine ( 6300 rpm?? vs 5500 RPM ??) and that the SERT would not have been able to do it? Not that I don't trust the service guys, but is there any truth to this statement? Appreciate the feedback.
I don't think I'd let that Tech work on my bike any more. The 06 stage 1 download will add a touch more fuel and raise the RPM limit to 6,200 RPM, the SERT is a whole different animal. If you used the map for the SE air filter and SE Pro mufflers you would get even more fuel and the same 6,200 rpm limit. With the SERT you can change the RPM limiter to whatever you want it to be, you can add fuel to different parts of the map, you can change timing it goes on and on. There are many plus's to the SERT, one of the down sides is if you don't know what your doing you can sure hose your bike up quick.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:09 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

While doing some personal research recently on exhaust systems and such, I read somewhere that stock engines (including those having the stage 1 mods) should never be set to rev higher than 5800 rpms. Only after the install of big bore kits, etc., is it safe to rev higher rpms. I don't have the knowledge/experience to know one way or the other, but after reading information like that, I would certainly be wary of a tech that made the statement posted above.

With regard to to being able to "hose" your bike using the SERT, I imagine that could certainly be the case if someone like myself became overly aggressive sans knowledge while trying to self-tune. I wonder, however, if the SERT allowed the initial map of the bike to be saved prior to any download or tuning effort. If it did, it would at least enable you to dump the original back in the ECM if things got out of hand. At least you wouldn't have to call the dealer to bring over the trailer if that was the case.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I have found from past experience that you can 'hose" up your bike just changing the grips if you don't know what you are doning. Most of us on the forum should probably not install our own SERTS. Unless you understand the air/fuel ratio you can either end up getting 10 miles per gallon and have some really wet plugs or burning holes in your pistons from running so lean[:@]. [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 01-03-2006, 12:30 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to say that if you have the SERT than the download is a waste of money. Because SERT over writes your current download with the new download map.

Old 01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Isshinryu
Tourer

What the guys said above is correct. Sometimes the dealers hire minimum wage folk in the service department to set appointments and such. They may not know what they are talking about, like what was told to you. I would try to get to the manager of the service department and have a little conference with the mechanic and service manager together. Ask for a refund or credit on the download. You wont get it if you dont ask. If the service manager or machanic told you this go to another dealer right away and consider the $150 a lesson.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
jruse
Stage I

Unfortunately you did waste some money, the SERT is pre-loaded with all available HD downloads from the factory. You would have been able to install the Stage I D/L from your SERT, and then returned to your dealer to have it tuned following the break-in. I would highly recommend having the bike dyno-tuned, the HD maps are good, but they don't tune for the area that you typically ride or live in. This will drastically affect your bike's performance.