Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

'98 RK Engine Stays At High Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 06:04 PM
cewood
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default '98 RK Engine Stays At High Throttle

Sorry if this is a long post but this problem has been haunting me for about a year now.

1998 FLHRC-I - basically stock, with aftermarket slip-ons I believe are Drag Specialities.

First happened about a year ago, about 50 miles into a days ride, pulled up to a stop light, engine kept revving at high throttle....figured it was a stuck throttle cable, played with it a bit and it went down to normal idle after a few stop lights. Never happened again that ride. Next day went through all cables, lubed and adjusted. Same thing happened again a few weeks later, then again...and now has been the rule rather than the exception.Had it in the garage after a short ride, trying to trouble shoot and with the A/C off saw that the throttle was closed, but the idle speed control actuator was working to make it fast idle. Try to lube that and make sure it was free of anything...but it's electronic so I couldn't do much to it.

Next week I figured it needed to go into an expert and had a good shop about a hour away. Went to gas up before the trip and the bike wouldn't start...up with the seat, loose battery cable...and fried BatteryTender pig tail. Tighten it up and off to the shop. In the 40 miles to the shop, never did the high rev...explained to the shop owner and he suggested that the short was probably the cause of the whole thing...screwing with the ECM or whatever.

Ran ok for a while but then returned. I would say it happens at least every other time I ride the bike whether it is 15 miles or 150. Some times I suspect it happens as the bike goes from "cold idle" to "hot idle" because it tends to happen about that time most of the time. When it happens, and I crack the throttle, a major hesitation occurs, coughs, then rev's....but won't go down. Backfires and stumbles and get some black smoke...but not when the bike is running fine...when it doesn't happen, everything seems sweet. The "engine" light has only come on once or twice when this was happening, but does not normally give any indications that something is wrong.

I suspected it was still something electrical...I have been through2 batteries in 3 years. Believe I trouble shot this correctly (thanks to much on this board) to the voltage regulator.Installed a new regulator today. At the terminals...12.9v with bike off, 14.4v with engine on(stator checks out fine). All seemed great on the initial test ride this morning about 50 miles...no problems at all. This afternoon, damn thing came back. Now I amfrustrated.

30,000 miles on the bike.I have had the bike for over 5 years with no issues. Had 10,000 dealer service done in 2003, did a top-end full gasket job in 2005. Have been thinking of taking into the dealer for another 10,000 mile service, but I really want to try to at leastnarrow downthis problem because I don't want themget itand have it work fineduring the service. This is my first EFI bike, so there is a point that I am just lost.

Any ideas, suggestions ?? Any advice would really help...of course a few more beers and I am sure I will feel better too.

Here in south Floridait was 81 today....gee, sorry...I really didn't need to add that did I.