Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

power or race

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:25 PM
TerryB
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power or race

picked up some true dual rineharts for my 07 roadking/ harley service tells me to go with race tuner and others say power commander whats the difference best performance is what i are about!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power or race

It depends on what you plan on doing. If you even *think* you're going to do internal modifications, then the SERT is my personal choice.

The PCIII is okay for mild stuff, air filter, pipes in different combinations. But to understand what the PCIII does vs the SERT, then the choice may be made for you:

The PCIII is a piggy back device. It goes betweent he ECM and the wiring harness. It takes the signals from the ecm modifies them, and sends them downstream to the Fuel Injectors and Coils. It takes a couple miliseconds to do this, but it is a delay none the less.

The SERT re-programs the ECM. There is no delay, it's instantaneous.

The deal braker for ME, was the timing advance and Knock Sensor.

The PCIII can advance the timing, but if you run into an issue where the engine knocks, the ECM detects this and retards timing.

If you change the PCIII to advacne your timing, then the PCIII tries to add timing to the system. Even if the ECM is trying to retard timing, the PCIII continues to add timing to the system. So the timing retard that the ECM is sending is advanced by the PCIII and it takes a few cycles for it to stop knocking. (It has been my limited experience, that it never STOPS knocking all together.)

True, I was pushing the jagged edge with my timing advance, but that was the straw that sealed the deal for me, and I switched to the SERT.

Why did I go PCIII in the first place? Well, it was 2003 and the HD delaers had no clue what they were doing with the V-Rods. The local Dyno Jet guy was the most experienced tuner in my area, and I went with him and the PCIII. It did just fine until I got some custom cams, BB kit, and a stroker crank. Now, it's just too much to tune right without the SERT.

Hope this helps.

RJ