Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SE Plug Wires - Inteference with ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 04:55 PM
whitebread_30
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SE Plug Wires - Inteference with ECU??

I bought some red "Magnum" wires out of motosport for my 07' train. When I was down at the dealer they told me I should not use them because they were not grounded properly. I did not notice any difference from stock wires and it ran fine. I ended up taking them off because I did not like the look. I though offsetting the black with the candy apple redwould be cool but it just bugged me. Now they are sitting in the HD box ,in the shed and will probably never see daylight again. Oh well atleast it was only a $50 loss..... I would just stick with the stock wires.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM
flynavy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems as if no one has any real examples of a failure caused by SE Wires.

I have read articles and tech data that suggest aftermarket wires can interfere with the ECM on the late model EFI bikes, but no hard data or examples were presented on those either.

I am just trying to ascertain concrete info on whether or not the latest SE wires have been approved for use on the late model EFI bikes with or without additional tuning modules. I can't reasonably concur that HD would manufature, sell, and advertise these wires for all HD bikes with EFI if they were causing data errors, etc.

I asked my local dealer, and they knew of no issues with running the SE wires on any HD models. They had seen a few data error/check engine light issues with no-name and Accel wires.

I also wrote to the MoCo and asked, but have received no answer as yet. Iam just seeking to know if anyone haspersonallyhad a problem running them on your own bike, or know someone directly who had a problem occur where the replacement of SE wires was the fix.

Anyone??

Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM
flynavy
Road Master

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED, THIS IS THE ANSWER I JUST RECEIVED FROM MIKE STEGMANN OVER AT TEAM LATUS HD:

"Yes, the SE wires are cleared for (use) with ION sensing systems, when using the correct part number for the application. I do not agree with the "limp" mode (would have to be a pretty severe case, causing other more worrysome problems) but have seen "no combustion" codes set by aftermarket wires. Other causes can be incorrect spark plugs and accessory plug covers, often installed along with wires.
-----
Mike Stegmann
performance Consultant
Team Latus Motors Harley-Davidson

Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

This is all good information. I am curious now about my prior problems with the SE wires. I was getting a misfire code any time I went above 4500 rpm and the timing was retarding because of the knock sensing signal from the ion system. It all went away when I put the orignal wires back on.???? There is something about those little electrons you can't see. Maybe thats why I like playing with mechanical solid objects! --- Tom

Old 11-28-2007, 08:46 AM
flynavy
Road Master

Is it possible one of the wires was breaking down, or bad to begin with? If so, reinstalling the stocks worked, but perhaps replacing one or both SE wires with new ones would have also fixed the problem....just a thought.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:13 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I've been using the SE Wires and the SE Tripple Platinum plugs on my 07 Streetbob for over 3000 miles now and have had NO problems of any kind.