Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:23 PM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Taillights

Got a problem. Installed passing lamp kit on my "06 Street Glide. All was OK. Months later, open up the fairing to remove the power lead for an XM radio from the HD cigar lighter power adapter thatI'd installed in the emptypower connector by the headlight on the FLHX models. Sold bike.

Now new owner reportsno brake lights, taillights or rear turn signals. Fuse for taillights blown and blows again as soon as a new one is installed and theignition is turned on (gotta be a short somewhere). On my suggestion he opened fairing and removed the cigar lighter adapter. Now have the small bar lights for the bottom of the rear fender ok, but still no tail, brake or turn on back end. Still blowing fuses.

He found a chaffed wire coming out of the left passing lamp and repaired. Fuses don't blow, but the tail light still is not working. Everything else is in order.

Question, where and what to look for next? Not sure if the rear turn signals are working, but i think he said they are.

We just completed the transaction last week. I assured the buyer that nothing was wrong with the bike, and nothing was, far as I knew. Want to help him make it right, and will send it to the dealer if I got to, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a suggestion, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2007, 11:06 AM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Taillights

If the fuse is no longer burning out, and the frayed wire is fixed, then check the bulb on the tail light.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:24 PM
rnothog
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! It was a loose plug...combination of small details!

Old 11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 2006 Ultra Classic after adjusting the passing lights, a wire got pinched and cause the fuses to blow , fixed the wire and replaced fuse , bulb may also be blown, check the bulb it may be blown also. I think that maybe the problem.