Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

running lights keep blowing fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
electraglidenblue
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running lights keep blowing fuse?

My running lights which is on the same fuse as my headlight keeps popping fuses. Me & my partner have had the fairing off 3 times. the first time the left running light connection was real corroded. So we cleaned them good with a wire brush put in a new fuse and was up running. One week later it popped another fuse.Pulled the faring off again cleaned the same connector plug, and put in some harley electrical grease and was off again for about a month.Popped another fuse. Pulled fairing again looked at connector fuse box. Nothing . Put a fuse in lights came on.Put it all back together and when i was pulling out of his driveway i noticed my spotlight button was out again before i got hit the street. WTF? Anyone got any clues? Test? Thanks, Frustrated!!!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM
bimbospencer57
6th Gear
Default RE: running lights keep blowing fuse?

you did'nt say what year it is , but on my 05 EG standard i had the same problem it was the wiring harness on the right side under the fairing right above where the radio back is, the harness had rubbed on the steelframe that supports the inner fairingand shorted out , i just pulled wires ahead and put rubber hose around steel frame,just splt the hose and slid it on add a couple wire ties to hold in place,has not done it since.hope this helps.jim

Old 11-21-2007, 07:22 PM
electraglidenblue
Intermediate

Mine is a 2006 electra standard. day after thanksgiving will have had it 2 years. 53,000 miles. guess i can't gripe to much. but this electrical stuff eats me up. u can't see it!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:30 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: electraglidenblue

Mine is a 2006 electra standard. day after thanksgiving will have had it 2 years. 53,000 miles. guess i can't gripe to much. but this electrical stuff eats me up. u can't see it!
Sounds like you have a pinched wire or some insulation worh thru. Trace the circuit from lite to switch.