Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

02 Road King fuelly with stumble

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 02 Road King fuelly with stumble

Okay, I am new to this site. Had my 02 for about 2 months now. Has 12,000 miles on it now ( I put on maybe 1000 since I bought it).

While ridingin high gear, steady throttle the engine acts like it just slightly misses or stumbles. Can crack open the throttle and seems to be okay. Now this last weekend, I went on a 130 mile ride and by the time I started back home, it was stumbling/missing really bad. Could crack open the throttle just a bit and would stop stumbling, but then would start right back doing it again (at any speed and any throttle position other than closed). The check engine light came on for maybe 5 seconds and went back off. Got me home, but dang. The air temp when it was doing this was around 50 degrees F, and didn't seem to be hot or anything.

I did a search on here and could find other related issues, but really no answer. The bike is mechanically bone stock, BTW. I talked with a mechanic at a local dealer and he said it could be a leaking intake gasket?/?/? Don't know guys. First injected bike I have ever owned.

Any guidance would be great before I take it in a spend a fortune for something that might be an easy fix. I did, by accident (brain dead me) put 87 octane in it that day....if that matters, have always ran 91 or 93 in it before.

Thanks ahead of time...

Timbob

Old 11-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 02 Road King fuelly with stumble

Have you checked the plugs?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

Haven't done anything yet. I guess I need to just approach this as I would a carb'd machine.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:24 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

When the check engine light came on it should have set a code. Then it cleared itself. Before it clears from memory....read it out....it is trying to tell you something. In all likelyhood you got something (sensor) giving you a hard time intermitently. When it fails you will get a check engine light that will stay home...and if your lucky will still be able to get it home.

Bottom line: see if it has an error code in history and look it up. Find out what the problem is and fix it.

Fuel injection is like a watch....when something breaks it runs like crap and usually what you describe is your first hint.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member

I tried reading the fault codes like described somewhere here (a post about using the dash button), but only came up with something not even described. I don't exactly remember what it (my bike's dash) showed, but it was nothing like what the post said.

??Thanks for the heads up on it. I did drain out the 87 octane and put 91 in it and rode it around for about 15 minutes and it only stumbled once in the first part of the ride. But I wasn't dressed warm enough to continue the ride for much more. Need to get a good 30 minute ride in with it after changing the fuel.

Thanks for the help again....

Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken injector wires in the fuel injectors can cause an intermittent miss.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
okie41
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have an 02RK as well, doing same thing

My RK is doing the same thing but in all gears and no codes thrown. 103k miles on motor, I have changed the throttle position sensor and the idle air controler. Still does it. Octane fuel is always at least 91. Also get a small chirp when I crack the throttle really fast and am getting pinging when rolling on it pretty quick. Dyno said AFR was right on. I am stumped. All help appreciated.

Originally Posted by frontiercat
Okay, I am new to this site. Had my 02 for about 2 months now. Has 12,000 miles on it now ( I put on maybe 1000 since I bought it).

While ridingin high gear, steady throttle the engine acts like it just slightly misses or stumbles. Can crack open the throttle and seems to be okay. Now this last weekend, I went on a 130 mile ride and by the time I started back home, it was stumbling/missing really bad. Could crack open the throttle just a bit and would stop stumbling, but then would start right back doing it again (at any speed and any throttle position other than closed). The check engine light came on for maybe 5 seconds and went back off. Got me home, but dang. The air temp when it was doing this was around 50 degrees F, and didn't seem to be hot or anything.

I did a search on here and could find other related issues, but really no answer. The bike is mechanically bone stock, BTW. I talked with a mechanic at a local dealer and he said it could be a leaking intake gasket?/?/? Don't know guys. First injected bike I have ever owned.

Any guidance would be great before I take it in a spend a fortune for something that might be an easy fix. I did, by accident (brain dead me) put 87 octane in it that day....if that matters, have always ran 91 or 93 in it before.

Thanks ahead of time...

Timbob