Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

08 HD UC Cruise Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:14 AM
tomkatz4
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 HD UC Cruise Control Issues

My cruise control stopped working for a while when riding this weekend.

After stopping and fueling up I could not get the cruise to engage. The gas pump didn't cut off soon enough and gas did burp out onto the tank, don't you love it when that happens. After riding a little way I stopped, shut off the engine, re-started, and the cruise started working again. Any ideas what happened?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 08 HD UC Cruise Control Issues

Hmmm. I don't know. I haven't had any problems at all with my '08.

When you switched the "cruise" to "on", the the light come on on the tach?

I'd suggest keeping an eye on it and let your dealer know if you have more problems.

BTW, I have the same problem with fueling up my FLHTCU. I'd like to "top it off", but it's nearly impossible with the gas pumps we have now days.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:40 PM
egor
Advanced

My 08 road glide cruise wont hold speed steady. It varies +/-3 mph.
Makes riding in a pack a pain. Had an 07, have an 03, both of
them would hold speed constant, up & down hills, etc.
This one will shut off if coasting too fast.
But, not a problem like you've had.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

PCM Glitch....[:@]Also make sure your brake switches are not activated while riding. A switch that`s out of proper adjustment can cause this type of issue.
Check for system codes. Check your battery cables too.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:38 AM
deadwood1783
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may or may not apply to you but the owners manual is printed wrong and shows the data port as the accessory power port. Be sure you don't plug an accessory into the data port as it will backfeed through the J1850 and create all sorts of weird codes which will send you on a wild goose chase even with Digital Tech II pinpoint diagnostics. Also remember (and those of you using SERT know this) on 2008 models there is no 0% throttle position on these models. 1%, 3%, 5% etc. ECM protocol is entirley different on 2008 touring models. Egor's + or - 3mph while @ cruise os not abnormal at all. In fact that is VERY good. 2008 touring models don't have 0% throttle because of the ECM protocol change and that idle speed is controlled using the ECM input to the new smart throttle body. This is a really cool system. Lets say on an 08 you are cruising at 2000 rpm's in 4th gear and you rip the throttle to wide open. The butterfly will open to 60% untill you reach 2800 to 3000 rpms and will then open to 100%. Now think about this, an abrupt throttle opening on earlier models opened the butterfly to 100% immeadiatleywhen it was cable controlled and the map pressure and readings changed abruptly and the ECM was struggling to hit the right cell thus usually a very lean reading on the dyno graph. The new protocol makes for a much smoother transition and less drive train shock load. Real nice smooth seamless to the rider transition. Actually a nice piece of work for a heavy touring platform by the engineers.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:16 PM
tomkatz4
Advanced

Nice looking bike Hoosierhog.
Good choice of color.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My '08 cruise holds speed almost exactly where I set it. I have had two issues, one was related to the Kuryakyn run, turn, brake module that I moved from my last bike. It required the load equalizer to work properly so I left it in on the '08. Everything seemed to work fine except once in awhile the cruise would drop out and not engage. It seemed to be related to the rear brake light (some times I could tap the rear brake pedal and the cruise would work again for a few miles). The check engine light would illuminate continuously. I removed the load equalizer and all is well now.

Once recently I had a check engine light and it stayed on. I don't know if ti came on when I disengaged the cruise or not, butI engaged the cruise and the light went out and hasn't returned.