Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

High rough idle and missing under throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Spool
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rough idle and missing under throttle

I hope I did not miss a thread that answers myproblems, tried searching first.

My 2006 Dyna Low Rider just started running rough under throttle and has a high and roughidle (1700-1800 rpm) once warmed up. I was hoping it was just bad gas (had just filled it up) but changing out the gas did not appear to help -running high octane premium unleaded. The bike is essentiallynew, only 825 miles on it. Around 400 miles I installed V&H Straighshot HS slips-on (quiet baffle), V&H Fuelpack, and the stock air filter body with a K&N High Air Flow filter. Ran great up until yesterday. I do not have any diagnostic codes - all indicate "none" or "no rsp", no check engine lights. I checked the plugs - gap and burn look good. I checked all plug wires, they are all securely connected. Fuelpack is still programmed correctly. No other engine modes or ECM tunes - all stock. Any ideas?

If I need to take to the stealer, do the mods mentioned above void any warranty?

Thanks for any help in advance

Old 11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: High rough idle and missing under throttle

I'd eliminate the Fuelpack from the possibilities by disconnecting it temporarily. Don't run it much this way but see if the problem is still there. If it is, I'd put the stock air filter back on, remove the Fuelpack & all traces of it, & take the bike to the dealer like that. It's probably something minor, most likely the Fuelpack.
David

Old 11-14-2007, 09:50 PM
Spool
6th Gear

grandpawmoses

thanks for the response. I will certainly give that a try and let you know the results.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Bond 007
Advanced

I installed K&N high flow a/c, V&H Ovals, and fuel pak 5 months ago on my 07 Ultra Classic. Had ran good until about a week ago. Last Friday in the office parking lot, I started it &immediately started to make a U turn. The engine went from starting to die to surgingout of controll. Catching me off guard, I lost control and went down. I have bad bruises from hitting the concrete.

It has died a couple of times since and today it did the surging thing again. I was ready for itso no problem. It seems to only do this after starting for a minute or so then smooths out untilsitting and starting again.

I will check my plugs and disconnect the fuel pak to determine if it is the problem.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Spool
6th Gear

Bond 007

Wow, sorry to hear that! I am removing my fuelpak today to see if that helps the situation. For the most part, people see to be fans of the fuelpak. After further inspection of my plugs I think the bike is running on the lean side as well. I will let you know if it runs better without the fuelpak. I probably never even needed it as I only changed the air cleaner element and did not upgrade the air intake itself.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Bond 007
Advanced

Spool, I like the fuelpak and think it normally works well. Of course I don't know yet what the problem is. May or may not be the fuelpak. Could be the ECM, fuel injectors, etc.As grandpawmoses suggestedI'll put the stock cleaner back on and remove the fuelpak and see if the problem stops. If not I'll take to the dealer. If it stops I'll get the fuelpak replaced.

My a/c is the K&N RK-3909.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Spool
6th Gear

Bond 007,
I just got back from the ride with out the Fuelpak - it ran like a champ! I think it ran smoother then when I first installed the Fuelpak. I made the Fuelpak and Slip-ons change all at the same time. So this is the first time riding the bike with just the slip-ons and and no fuelpak. Again it felt like it was running better then when I installed the Fuelpak/slip-ons upgrade. I kept the K&N filter in. This was only a 20 mile ride, so not the longest test but I certainly did not have any missing or rough high idle. I am going to work with this configuration for awhile and see if it was definitely the fuelpak.

Again my configuration now is K&N High Flow Filter, stock air cleaner intake and just V&H Straightshot HS slip-ons - no V&H Fuelpak.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:20 PM
Bond 007
Advanced

Spool sounds like you may have a bad fuelpak. I emailed V&H for suggestions on my problem. I'll see if they say to send it back for repair or replacement (it is beyond the 90 day warranty) so I'll have to pay. I haven't tried my bike yet without the fuelpak. My bike has 7900 miles. I'll put new plugs in, clean the a/c, and maybe run a tank of injector cleaner before removing the fuelpak unless V&H says to remove it immediately. I checked the fuelpak settings and they were correct.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:20 PM
hbever
Novice

I had an 02 roadking come in with same problem. Screws holding intake manifiold and throttle body together were missing! Caused air to bypass throttle plate, more than IAC could control. Give them a check, for missing or loose. I don't mean the ones holding it to head, I mean the small ones holding 2 pc intake together.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
6flhxi
Intermediate

It's the Fuelpak. I've seen this issue several times.

I'll bet that the bike was washed just before this happened(?). The problem w/ the fuelpak is that the electronics are not adequately sealed against moisture.

Quick Reply: High rough idle and missing under throttle