Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT can't read vin

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 PM
mvent
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT can't read vin

Hi ,new to this forum,have been reading it for awhile and now have reason to post.In trying to load a custom map to my 2004 FLSTFI,using SERT J version,on first couple of trys it found vin and current calibration,when clicked on load ECM it got to about 40% and stopped,window popped up saying trying harder,did this a couple of times,now no vin info shows up and engine light doesn't come on with run button.Have disconnecetd battery couple of times still nothing.HELP?
Thanks in advance for your help
Mike

Old 11-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Rodman813
Road Captain
Default RE: SERT can't read vin

th eonly time I had that happen is when the cables may not have been fully connected. I checked/snugged each connection, and had no problem after that......

just my experience

Old 11-05-2007, 02:58 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got yourself a little issue.

I just had this happen last week while loading a map. If you look in the help tab on the SERT software, it can walk you through some steps to get this resolved.

Essentially, you need to disconnect your battery and allow all the capacitors to discharge. The SERT help file states it should be at LEAST 10 seconds. (If you disconnect the battery and touch the positive and negative wires together, it will discharge the capacitors on the bike immediately. Just make sure they aren't connected to the battery!)

Close the Race Tuner program. Turn off your computer, and start it back up again. Then you can try to read the VIN from the ECM again.

If that STILL doesn't resolve the issue, then you're pretty much stuck with taking the bike to the dealer, and having them use the Digital Tech to re-program your ECM with your VIN. They will need to load the STOCK map back onto your ECM and then you can move forward from there.

If you're LUCKY, the Ditital Tech will be able to reprogarm your ECM directly. If not, then you'll need the delaer to type in the VIN from your bike, to the Digital Tech, while it's hooked up to another bike with the same ECM part number as your bike. Then, just before they try to program the ECM, connect the Digital Tech to your bike. Essentially FORCING the programming onto your ECM.

The problem you'll run into is finding a 2004 ECM to read in order to setup the Digital Tech for re-writing your ECM.

Do you have any Idea why it failed to write in the first place? When it happened to my bike, my laptop timed out at the wrong time. I forgot to change the power setting on the laptop to "Always on" and it went into hibernation at the worst possible time. Live and learn.

Good luck.

RJ

Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM
mvent
Intermediate

RJ,you are right on,ended up going to dealer,they were not able to reload using Digital Tec,service person spent some time on phone with HD service,long story short sent ECM overnight to Harley they will reload at factory and return.No explanation from them why this happened,all procedures were followed and I have done this before without incident,very frustrating!I thought that the custom map I was trying to load,but when they had same problem at dealer trying to load high output map from Digital Tec and had same problem it eliminated that fear.Harley must know of some glitch because it happens often enough.
Lets hope for the best I will report the outcome
Mike

Old 11-05-2007, 05:36 PM
rjrivero
Tourer

Do you know if they tried to fool the Digital Tech as described above before they shipped it out?

Are you using a computer with a dedicated serial port, or are you using a USB adaptor?

Old 11-05-2007, 05:42 PM
mvent
Intermediate

Yes they tried with Digital Tec to fool it,didn't work,they said they were able to do it with Tec 1 now they are using Digital Tec 2 and can't be fooled.Yes using USB adapter,have used it before without a problem,I have read where that has caused problems.
Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 09:20 AM
rjrivero
Tourer

You already know the issues with using a Serial to USB adaptor, so I won't belabor that point. I still use one, but I went out and got the one mentioned in the SERT manual, by Belkin.

Let us know how the story ends.

RJ

Old 11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
mvent
Intermediate

I should have ECM back in a couple of days,going to purchase Belkin adapter tonite,will let you know the outcome.Would really like to know what it is that causes this,very frustrating,is it one thing like the adapter?Or several things makes me nuts.
Mike

Old 11-06-2007, 04:38 PM
rjrivero
Tourer

Mike,

I have heard horror stories about USB adapters withthe SERT. Usually it just plain doesn't recognize the bike. The big problem, I'm told, is that the USB uses such a small current, compared to the Serial connectors, that it sometimes looses the signal stream. Again, i'm not a computer guy, so I don't know for sure.

Best of Luck.

RJ

Old 11-07-2007, 03:03 PM
mvent
Intermediate

Update,picked up ECM at dealership,stock map,installed in bike,purchased Belkin usb to serial adapter,did all connections tight followed all the sequences,got ecm info,waited 15 seconds hit program ecm,went to15% stopped,tried again,went to 40%stopped,tried again went to 72% stopped,ecm wiped out again,unreal,disconnected battery,will hook it up and see if it reboots itself.The way things are going,unlikely.
Mike

Quick Reply: SERT can't read vin