Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

LED Turn Signal Installation Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:37 AM
poonjahb
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Turn Signal Installation Woes

Trying to replace my stock front and rear turn signals on my 08 Fat Boy with Kuryakyn LEDs and running into some issues. I purchased the following and installed them, but for some reason the right rear turn signal will not light up at all. I switched the left and right lights on the rear and it is always the right that does not work with the LED installed. If I reinstall a standard filament bulb it works fine, but as soon as the LED is put it there is no light for either the running light (from the Tailbone adapter) or the turn signal. I tried removing both the load equalizer and the tailbones to see if it was one of the modules that was causing it, but the turn signal still does not work. I'm about at my wits end and can't take much more of this, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure something out soon I'm going to have to take it to the shop and probably pay out the... you know... to have them work on it.

Kuryakyn 4825 Duece Style Turn Signals
Kuryakyn 4827 New Bullet (Duece) 1156 Smoked Turn
Biketronics BT801 SmartEqualizer
Biketronics BT300c Tailbones Run/Turn/Stop Module

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I do have the HD Security Module on my bike.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:28 AM
Gigawitz
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LED Turn Signal Installation Woes

Check the polarity: Unlike regular lights, LED's will only work if the polarity is correct. Most likely the problem is in your load equilizer hook up. Try reversing the positive and negative on your right rear LED signal. If this works, double check your load equilizer wiring.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,509 Likes on 22,673 Posts

Good advice. You can always call Kuryakyn too, if you get a snag. They are very helpful too.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM
poonjahb
Advanced

I tried even without the load equalizer installed and have the same problem though. Is there an easy place I can switch the polarity without having to cut any factory wiring? If it is reversed, that means it was reversed from the factory.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 PM
poonjahb
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions. I went to town with a multimeter and found that the plug for the right turn signal that is located behind the tail light was actually wired backwards from the factory. I managed to pull the wires from the plug and reverse them without having to cut anything and it is all working great now.