Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Turn signal comes on by itself, won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turn signal comes on by itself, won't turn off

I had a strange thing happen on the way to work this morning. I was about 10 minutes from home travelling on the interstate. I look down and my left turn signal is flashing, apparently came on by itself. I hit the button to turn it off and it won't shut off. I play with the button, still nothing and for some reason I hit the right turn signal button. Now the left signal is off and the right is on. I press the right button again and it turns off. All is well.

Not so fast. I travel for a minute and the left signal is back on. I play with the buttons again and it takes a combination of left, right or both to make the left signal to go off. As I do this, it appears to take turning on the right signal or both to get the left to go off. This continues for 10-15 miles and each time I get the left signal to go off, it comes back on, by itself sooner and sooner each time until it's coming on by itself within 10 seconds of my getting it turned off. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the brake light is on or off or if the cruise control is on or off.

And then, no more problems. I travelled the remaining 15 miles to work and everything works fine. Went to lunch, tried to get the problem to reoccur but it all worked like it was supposed to. Rode home this evening and had no problems. When I got home I checked the TSM for codes and everything is clean. I ran the DTC test and it came up clean.

The motorcycle is a 2005 RK Classic with the H-D run-brake-turn module. Just about the time the trouble cleared itself up this morning, I was going to get off at the next exit to disconnect the module to see if that would make a difference. I don't really see how it would because what triggers the turn signal is upstream from the module. All I know to try is to unplug the run-brake-tun module, clean the connectors, apply some dielectric grease and hope for the best.

Any other suggestions?

Old 11-01-2007, 11:59 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn signal comes on by itself, won't turn off

How funny, my 07 SG did the same thing, but it was the right one that came on as I recall, and I finally hit the opposite one like you did, to get it to stop. Hasnt done it since. Guess Im not losing my mind. Maybe someone rare and random?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Turn signal comes on by itself, won't turn off

When I got home last night I ran the TSM & DCT check for codes. Everything came up clean. I guess I'll ride it and we'll see what happens.