Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

hand held electrical diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 PM
chee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand held electrical diagnostics

i was just wondering if anyone has heard of a hand held unit that you can plug into the electricals and it gives you you code read out that you then can use to diagnose the problems. i heard about it from a friend at the harley dealership and i have had a lot of people asking me if i have this capability in my shop. any info would be great. thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: hand held electrical diagnostics

The Unit they are referring to is prolly the DT Mobile (Digital Technician II Hand held Remote use tool)...... We haveDT II and 1 DT Mobile... Getting our other DTM Next week (I hope)....

You can do everything that DT II can do EXCEPT have Pinpoint Diagnostics, Upload new programming for Tech Link II and access the Electronic Service Manuals......

These units are only in service at HD shops, as Digital Technician I is no more and cannot support the MY 08 lines....

Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 AM
chee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahh. so there isn't much chance of me gettin one then eh. i guess the reason i want one is because we have so many guys whose fuel injection is just working like crap. they bring it to our local dealer and they ( and i am not trying to badmouth anyone) tell them that everything is fine. but if we put a power commander on ( which we have had to do a couple of times) then the we can get the bike to run great. essentially i would like to be able to save my customers money by being able to tweek the stock fuel injection mapping and that doesn't seem like a possibility. any other ideas are more then welcome but i think i am somewhat stuck.Digital Technician II Hand

Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM
rjrivero
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chee

ahh. so there isn't much chance of me gettin one then eh. i guess the reason i want one is because we have so many guys whose fuel injection is just working like crap. they bring it to our local dealer and they ( and i am not trying to badmouth anyone) tell them that everything is fine. but if we put a power commander on ( which we have had to do a couple of times) then the we can get the bike to run great. essentially i would like to be able to save my customers money by being able to tweek the stock fuel injection mapping and that doesn't seem like a possibility. any other ideas are more then welcome but i think i am somewhat stuck.Digital Technician II Hand
There is always another option. You can get a Twinscan II plus from Daytona Twintec. It is a system that uses wideband 02 sensors, and their WegoIID box, and a Twinscan II box. The Twinscan plugs into the Dataport on the motorcycle. It will read codes, but it will also read real time AFR's. It is sold as a tuning tool. You can use it on a computer, I use my laptop, or you can use it with any Palm Based handheld.

I think it would work GREAT with any 2008, since all you have to do is remove the stock narrowband 02 sensors, and replace them with the wideband units from the WEGOIID. It doens't program the ECM, but it lets you know what's going on.

You can use it with a RT, PCIII, even a piggy back system.

You don't need to use the 02 sensors, if you don't want to, or the bike is older and doesn't have any 02 sensor bungs.

I welded bungs into my header pipes, and leave it on my bike all the time. It has onboard memory, and you can download the latest data at any time. It will STOP recording if a trouble code is set, so you can review that information, otherwise, it continuously overwrites it's buffered memory.

It's pretty cool stuff, and available to ANYONE.