Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Level Sending Unit Schematic & Diagram Please...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:12 PM
KustimKool
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Level Sending Unit Schematic & Diagram Please...

Hey gang...Got a '93 Sportster 1200 and I'm thinking of retro-fitting it with a fuel gauge. I'll probably choose to go with the Kuryakyn gas cap with the LED fuel gauge and battery level indicator. As we all know though, the Sporty's don't sport a fuel level sending unit. This is of course the main hurdle. The deal is that I am thinking of getting a new fuel tank anyway (2" stretched, 4 gal sport bob with dual caps) and was wondering how these sending units work exactly. I assume they functionthesame way as the fuel sending unit in most cars in that its just a float the rocks up and down with the fuel level inside the tank. Having said that, does anybody know where I might find a decent schematic for the wiring? I'd hate to blow myself up with this little venture. Another thing, some images of how the sending unit is installed would be fantastic!! I can only imagine that all the wire must be contained and not allowed to come into contact with the fuel...Correct? Right now its just an idea that I would love to persue but I need a little help understanding what I am getting myself into first. Again, just an assumption but I planned on utilizing a sending unit from a Dyna tank. Infact, I was going to customize a Dyna tank to fit the Sporty at first (and I still might) but I figured I would persue this avenue first.

Thanks for ANY and ALL the help folks!
Cheers!!

- Dan

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 AM
KustimKool
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Level Sending Unit Schematic & Diagram Please...

Ideas?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,109 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Level Sending Unit Schematic & Diagram Please...

ORIGINAL: KustimKool

Ideas?
Dyna service manual.
My 06 manual shows some maybe allof the issues you bring up.

If I remember correctly, the manual mentions a certain
*type* of wire for immersion in the fuel.

mud