Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Arlen Ness Big Shot Adjustable Fuel Injection Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:49 AM
GAstreetglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arlen Ness Big Shot Adjustable Fuel Injection Tuner

I just read about this product and was curious how well this load-based technology works compared to the throttle-position technology used on some of the other FI tuner units. If anyone has installed this unit, please provide you’re experience regarding the installation and your satisfaction with the performance results.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
lschultz
Road Master
Default RE: Arlen Ness Big Shot Adjustable Fuel Injection Tuner

My son had one on his 07 he got from Dobeck when they first came out with it and were selling them now you have to buy it from one of there vendors under anothe name like Arlen Ness. His worked good one his 07 did not have any problems. I bought one for mine got it from Arlen Ness and no complaints. Hardest part is getting the plugs off the injectors. No problems with mine. Easy set up. Runs great no pings, runs cooler.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[edit: oops. when you see "Techlusion" below, think "Dobeck". Techlusion may be correct, too, but that's not what I meant to say]

I think it's a bunch of hype. Sure, the map for the PC-III is based only on throttle position and RPM, but that's just for its particular fuel (and timing) modification setpoints (which can be greater or lesser than the stock ECU's output - the Techlusion and friends (the AN is one) can only work with fuel and can only modify the ECU output by adding fuel).

In the end the PC-III, and the V&H (however it bases its decisions - who can say? the hood is welded shut on that bad boy) along with all the other piggyback controllers are every bit as much "load-based" as the speed-density system that's making all the original decisions they're merely modifying.

If at X rpm and Y throttle position the PC-III says "add 2% fuel and 1° advance" it'll do that both when the stock ECU says "this much fuel and this much advance because the MAP sensor says this much pressure" or "that much fuel and that much advance because the MAP sensor say that much pressure". Get it? The same TPS and RPM data will yield two different results if the stock ECU provides two different outputs there based on load.

A lot of folks have good results with the Techlusion-based stuff like the AN (and I believe Cobra), as well as with the V&H item. If you want or only need the lesser capability as compared to the PC-III then go for it. If you aren't computer savvy at all and/or don't have a computer you can easily hook up to the unit on the bike, get something that doesn't require it. If you merely want to save a couple bucks and can live without the added functionality, then go for it.

But in the end, they're all as "load-based" as is the stock Delphi ECU!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
hondo96inch
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: glens

[edit: oops. when you see "Techlusion" below, think "Dobeck". Techlusion may be correct, too, but that's not what I meant to say]

I think it's a bunch of hype. Sure, the map for the PC-III is based only on throttle position and RPM, but that's just for its particular fuel (and timing) modification setpoints (which can be greater or lesser than the stock ECU's output - the Techlusion and friends (the AN is one) can only work with fuel and can only modify the ECU output by adding fuel).

In the end the PC-III, and the V&H (however it bases its decisions - who can say? the hood is welded shut on that bad boy) along with all the other piggyback controllers are every bit as much "load-based" as the speed-density system that's making all the original decisions they're merely modifying.

If at X rpm and Y throttle position the PC-III says "add 2% fuel and 1° advance" it'll do that both when the stock ECU says "this much fuel and this much advance because the MAP sensor says this much pressure" or "that much fuel and that much advance because the MAP sensor say that much pressure". Get it? The same TPS and RPM data will yield two different results if the stock ECU provides two different outputs there based on load.

A lot of folks have good results with the Techlusion-based stuff like the AN (and I believe Cobra), as well as with the V&H item. If you want or only need the lesser capability as compared to the PC-III then go for it. If you aren't computer savvy at all and/or don't have a computer you can easily hook up to the unit on the bike, get something that doesn't require it. If you merely want to save a couple bucks and can live without the added functionality, then go for it.

But in the end, they're all as "load-based" as is the stock Delphi ECU!
I too had been wondering about the load based statements for quite a while. It finally came to me that the pc111 worked with whatever injection pulse width and timing came its way.

Thanks for the very good description.

Now if I understood the more complex units...

Old 04-27-2014, 09:30 PM
Hydrus
Stage III
Default Junk

i have a 08 FXSTB that has a K&N air filter and a set of Vance & Hines street sweeper pipes. I instaled a Arlen Ness "BIG SHOT" and it went to hell in a heart beat. I tryed to call for tech helpand was put on hold for half a day. The check eng. light stays on all the time, hard to idel, drinks gas and just runs like crap. The harley shop can fix it at the tune of $900.00 and a bike shop down the road " tha is taken pitty on me" can do it foe $725. What a piece of&^%$$& the big shot is.

Last edited by Hydrus; 04-28-2014 at 05:00 PM.