Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

another newbie fuel controller question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:37 AM
drichards
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another newbie fuel controller question

I bet I could cut and paste this question from a hundred different post but here goes anyway. I've got an 08 ultra with ABS and drive by wire throttle. I plan on adding Rush slip-ons and probably a different AC. I don't hot rod but I do love to tinker and experiment with different set-ups. I tried the SERT on my 07 and my dealer lacked the abbility to tune it correctly so I ended up with a popping, pinging 25MPG bike that was barley rideable until I installed a canned map.

Two questions:
1. Can I add the Rush mufflers with 1.75" baffles and leave the stock AC and not change the fuel just to get me through the winter until I can save up some cash?

2. In the spring, which controller should I go with. The Tmax or the DTT. Any info on Pro Cons of both units would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: another newbie fuel controller question

ORIGINAL: drichards

I bet I could cut and paste this question from a hundred different post but here goes anyway. I've got an 08 ultra with ABS and drive by wire throttle. I plan on adding Rush slip-ons and probably a different AC. I don't hot rod but I do love to tinker and experiment with different set-ups. I tried the SERT on my 07 and my dealer lacked the abbility to tune it correctly so I ended up with a popping, pinging 25MPG bike that was barley rideable until I installed a canned map.

Two questions:
1. Can I add the Rush mufflers with 1.75" baffles and leave the stock AC and not change the fuel just to get me through the winter until I can save up some cash?

2. In the spring, which controller should I go with. The Tmax or the DTT. Any info on Pro Cons of both units would be appreciated.
You're right about this being a repetitive question.

Answer to #1: Yes you can. Change either end (intake or exhaust), but not both without changing air/fuel getting to the motor.

Opinion to Question #2: ThunderMax w/AutoTune & the wide band O2 sensors is probably as good as it can get. Also, it isthe top of the price chain. There are numerous choices from there that start getting a lot cheaper.

I am saving for a T-Max, but currently running my stage 1 mods with a V&H FuelPak. Is it perfect, no. Does my bike run better & cooler? Yes.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:57 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd go with just changing out the mufflers in a heartbeat, but wouldn't change the airbox under any circumstances without addressing the changed VEs that would result, even if the airbox was the only breathing change I made.

Between the TMAX and DTT, from what I've been able to glean from their published and available-on-the-Web information, I think the DTT would be my direction. But that's a safe thing to say at this time since neither is really on my radar just yet.

If I had an '08 and had to have one or the other, though, the first one to get one available to me would suffice. They both have a pretty good track record so far from what I've seen.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 AM
SGDude
Cruiser

I second the comment about slipons vs. aircleaner. Changing the a/c will allow more air and make an already lean tune leaner. Bad, very bad.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:47 AM
drdiesel1
Road Captain

I use the SERT on my 08 Ultra because I didn`t care to wait for the release of the DTT system. The SERT will give you all the tuning you`ll need. The only drawback is it marries to the ECM for life. It can only be used on the first ECM it mates with.
I have the DTT/WEGO IID on my 07 FLHX. IMO it`s the best box.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:29 AM
riles10
Advanced

if you add the rush 1.75 baffle you don't need to change any other mod..just install and go,,,,,any bigger baffle you will ned to add a fuel nanny and stage 1 ac.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:04 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Respectfully, that was a true statement until you got to the ",,,,," part and what follows.

I've logged somewhere between 1 and 2 thousand miles with just 2" Rushes, everything else stock. It works and works extremely well. I don't know if I'd recommend larger baffles than that, but 2" definitely work well with the ECU and friends.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM
riles10
Advanced

Glen, I agree !!! I have heard that but wasn't 100 percent sure with the 2.0 but I know 1.75 was safer for sure...How is the sound and performance with 2.0 baffle?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Since both are entirely subjective at this point for me, I'd say they're both great. I don't know how much difference there actually is between the two sizes, though, in either criteria. No dyno time with either and only exposure to the 2".

Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't believe they have the TMax out for the 08 models yet. If I had to do it all over again, I would have went straight to the TMax. You will have to check to see what is available for the 08 on the tuners as the drive by wire may preclude some of them from working.

Quick Reply: another newbie fuel controller question