Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

t max bad mpg will the auto tune fix over time

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:02 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default t max bad mpg will the auto tune fix over time

This weekend I reload the base map HDTSSTVCUG050107 cleared all the learn fuel adjustment, the learn idle control adjustment and clear IAC module offsets. I reinitialize the module by cycling the ignition switch 3 fore 30 sec. then I started the bike up and let it idle until the engine temp hit 280 I could see on the IAC stop vs engine temperature page the little squares moving up and down so I think that the auto tune is working. I then took the bike out for about 100 miles refuel and got 30 mpg. Will my mpg get better when I put more miles on my bike because of the auto tune. the reason I reload the base map again was the bad mpg I got 27 mpg

Thank you
bob

Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 PM
amstaffs
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: t max bad mpg will the auto tune fix over time

Need to check and make sure what your base a/f ratio is set at. But to answer your question. Yes it took mine a few trips to dial it in, i'm geting 43 mpg in town and close to 50 on highway with a 95" making 110/110.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:31 PM
SGDude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,
Yes it will get better over time. What did the bike get before the mods? I ask this because I have seen quite a span of MPG's, which bugs me to no end, but it does seem that the TMAT is making ~ 3-5 MPG better than the stock was getting.

Why in the world two bikes of the same model, etc. get such wildly different MPG's is something I'm still researching and trying to find out. I know there is another member here that has the identical bike to mine, same mods, lives at the same elevation and has about the same mix of city/highway, and he gets probably 8-10 MPG better than I do. I've even leaned mine out to around 14.0:1 at cruise RPM's/TPS' and it made very little difference.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:12 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To get to the bottom of that question a little better it might be necessary to ride together for a day, loaded the same, buying the same gas, etc. It might have a great deal to do with the way the throttle gets used. At least by riding together and matching styles you could eliminate that great variable and have a better chance at coming to the correct conclusion.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:25 PM
ubreal
Road Master

I was looking at the map (392) and I notice that in the air cleaner column it says hi/flow 2.75 deep. My air cleaner is 2.25 deep. I then went down to Arlen ness and bought a big sucker the stage #2 one, it is 2.75 deep put it on, reset everything and took it out for a ride man what a different may it is my imagination but the bike seems more snapper hopefully this will get me mpg’s. how many miles did it take to you before you started to see good mpg’s

Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 AM
SGDude
Cruiser

Interesting. I too, have the 2.25 and noticed the 392 was for the 2.75. Please post what you find after your ride.
It took about 300 miles with stops about every 30. My commute to work is about 30 miles one way, so that worked out perfect. BTW, I noticed it creeping up with each tank by about 2 MPG. I also noticed if I kept the revs in the 2000-2200 range, I got worse mileage than keeping it between 2200-2700...

Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Dante
Advanced

Hi,

Just an FYI, the DTT guy at the Daytona Biketoberfest said the DTT system needs you to stay at each throttle position for a period of time for the system to have time to adjust the fuel map. If you wind up thru the gears quickly he said it would not have time to make adjustments. Dunno if this applys to the ThunderMax but it made sense to me, however I am an extreme noob concerning these matters and have much to learn. Anyway maybe this will help.!!!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

FWIW, i put about 1200 miles on my initial tune and was only albe to better by 1-2 MPG the best mileage i got on my stock ECM, though it consitently starting getting 40 MPG instead of ranging from 32-38MPG.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

Anybody know if I can just replace the 2.25 with the 2.75 filter element? Besides the bolt, looks like it's the same. Haven't been able to find just the element yet...

Old 10-24-2007, 08:02 PM
ubreal
Road Master

yes zippers sells them and I have seen it on ebay and in the J and P cycles catloge on page 497 they have them for $72.99. I just wnet to arlen ness and bought a big sucker and I was inpress.

Quick Reply: t max bad mpg will the auto tune fix over time