Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

COBRA FI2000 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:23 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COBRA FI2000 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

I just installed the new Cobra FI2000R Closed Loop system on my 07 HD Street Glide. Wow was my first response! I have the SE stage one air filter, V&H basic slip ons and the HD stage one map download. With these mods the bike still had a lean surge and sluggish part throttle response. With the Cobra unit the bike is like night and day! No more lean surge, crisp roll on throttle response and a lot more power.

The bucking at low speeds when downshifting is gone also. The system is road side tuneable, but so far the factory settings seem to be right on. For $256.99 delivered from Dennis Kirk I think this is the best fuel managment system you can get for the price. No calling in for a map download, no need to dyno the bike,unless you want to make the adjustments completly 100% perfect, and great results for the price. The unit looks to be of HD factory quality as far as the wire connectors and looms. I give it a big thumbs up!

Old 10-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: COBRA FI2000 FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Ditto. Been running mine for two years now. Very user friendly.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 AM
mulch63
Road Master

I have the DFO and I agree.....night and day difference, easy install, easy adjust and easy on the wallet.

jim

Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 AM
thecabinboy
Cruiser

Did not have anything close to a good experience with this tuner. nothing but huge backfire on deceleration (I'm not talking about popping) two trips to the independent dyno (thought I found a exhaust leak after the first time when he ran out of adjustment, second time he tuned it down but it was real lean on the top end) too many calls to CobraUSA with them telling me check everything but their tuner. Too much time adjusting and adjusting. I brought the bike to the H-D dealer to check why the idle was intermittently high, they came back and told my the tuner was defective. Since they were the ones who recommended it when the SERT was 4 months back-ordered I bitched enough they refunded the price toward a SERT with them installing it for free. Their Dyno guy was out for 2 weeks so I went to a different dealer to tune it (cheaper anyway 250.00 OTD vs 4hrs dyno time @80.00 per hr.) no more problems.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced

You may have had a bad tuner. Why did you not ask Cobra to replace it? So far EVERYONE who has posted regarding this tuner on the VTwin forum and here like it. Every manufacturer has a bad component once in awhile. That's why they have warrantees.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the Fi2000 closed loop and will install it next weekend. I put on a set of Screamin' Eagle slip-ons and those have already made some difference. The Cobra EFI tuner is supposed to not only help on FI slippage but on the lean tuning. So far there have been only a few complaints, so I'm looking forward to adding this part next. I'll post an update when I'm done.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 PM
thecabinboy
Cruiser

"You may have had a bad tuner. Why did you not ask Cobra to replace it? So far EVERYONE who has posted regarding this tuner on the VTwin forum and here like it. Every manufacturer has a bad component once in awhile. That's why they have warrantees."

When the dealer told me my problem was the tuner and that they "don't recommend it anyway" I replied how they were the ones who told me to get it. I'm burnt out with a piggy-back unit and the SERT is what I wanted in the first place. CobraUSA customer service leaves something to be desired IMHO (no responses to 3 e-mails and every time I spoke to them on the phone it was always something else causing the problems (intake leaks, exhaust leaks, even bad plugs and wires) other than the FI2000R (when I told them that I went to the dyno the first time and we could not dial out the problemtech support yelled at me about "don't I know how this unit works" and I mean yelled. I told him that if I did I wouldn't be calling. I am much happier now,the SERT controls all aspects of the bike from timing, idle speed and will tune each cylinder independently if needed plus has a ton of other functions. While the Cobra tuner with its 3 pots is like tuning a carburetor with a fuel air screw, needle position and main jet. I don't want to play devils advocate so if it is work for you I would not change a thing just ride and be happy. But for me it was three months of popping, backfires, speedometer needle jumping MPH up and down due to the surging and lousy gas mileage and 2 trips to the dyno at125 bucks for each visit. Just like a bad marriage.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I almost posted earlier about how my PC-III cost almost the same and it can add or remove fuel (don't the cobras add only?), and it can add or subtract spark timing, and it can do these things for each cylinder separately, and it came with a map preloaded for my specific components.

I'm going over to cobra's website in a minute to look at what they're offering for closed-loop and if they're saying anything worthwhile about it.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:02 PM
MULESKINNER
Advanced

Why would you want to subtract fuel on a bike that is running way toolean from the factory due to EPA restrictions?But if you so desire, yes you can subtract fuel from the factory settings. As far as ignitiontiming, the early 07bikes had to have the ECU reflashed to remove timingto stop pinging. For an unmodified engine with only air cleanerand exhaust modifications and pump fuel you don't want anymore timing anyway.

I posted this thread for information only and toreport my experiances with the Cobra unit. If you are happy with whatever unit you have that is a good thing. But don't turn this thread into an attack on the Cobra unit because you like what you have purchased for your vehicle and think it's better. I for one do not want to have to screw with multiple down loads and make numerous expensive runs on a dyno to get my bike running right.

I also like the fact that I can pull over while on the road, remove my seat and make adjustments to my fueling device. I do not want to have to call the manufacturer, or anyone else for that fact, to get another map for my fueling device, or carry a PC around with me to down load another map into the device along the road.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm sorry. I don't know why I'd posted. I guess it was something about the post just prior to mine that set me off. Like I said, I'd almost posted earlier but didn't.

Yes, you can subtract fuel from the (fueler's) factory settings, but you cannot subtract fuel from the output of the ECU (make the injector pulses shorter).

I just got done looking over a bunch of stuff on Cobra's site. This unit must be one of the Techlusion (or from the same place they get theirs, at any rate) units. Those are branded under several names. I'm glad you're happy with it so far.

Just to clarify what must be a couple of your misconceptions, I don't have to call anybody or download anything or lug a PC around to make roadside adjustments. I don't have to remove my seat, just the right-side saddlebag and sidecover if I ever wanted access while on the road to the three pushbuttons for making fuel changes in three main rev ranges. Of course that's never happened, but it's nice to have the option.

Installation was a little tedious with everything (except the two O2 eliminators that plug into the connectors by each sensor) right there under the side cover. Not really tedious, but the harness that goes between the stock ECU and the stock ECU harness connector could have been either an inch longer or an inch shorter. The only tool necessary was a pair of side-cutters to trim the excess from the two zip-ties.

I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense as to why one would want to remove fuel in specific areas from the fuel map. The map that came preloaded for my components does remove some fuel in the lower portions of the open-loop area. Hey, they'd set it up on a dyno. And it does run quite well. I did knock a couple percent off their increases in the cruise range and added a percent or so overall in the idle area, along with an extra percent for the rear cylinder there. But to make such fine-grained adjustments, you're correct; I must spend a couple minutes booting up Windows either directly or in a virtual machine, then lug my laptop out and as I mentioned earlier, pop the right saddle bag and right sidecover off, then plug in the USB cable and make the transfer.

Not to be saying mine's bigger than yours or anything by this, but Cobra's (and Techlusion's, et al.) spiel about how theirs is better because it's "load based" isn't really genuine. Any of the piggyback fuelers do their things after the stock ECU has made its fuel calculations based on air temperature, pressure, and intake vacuum. They also are a little disingenuous with their comparison to tuning a carburetor since that process, although technically simple, isn't necessarily easy, and with a carb, you could put a smaller jet in or otherwise decrease fuel. Not so with theirs. All they're doing is intercepting the injector signals and either passing them directly on or delaying the end of the "on" period.

The stock ECU on the '06 Dynas and '07-and-later others is quite capable and it's easy to get into trouble with them when their functionality isn't understood.

With your Cobra not eliminating the O2 sensors and obviously modifying their signals you should be okay just sticking that unit on and going no matter how you'd had the bike configured beforehand. For piggybacks that don't use the O2 signals, however (the other model Cobra and others) if you've been running around with different mufflers and stick one of the fuelers on, they will not be modifying the same signals from the ECU as they would if the ECU had been working with stock mufflers. Therefore it should come as no surprise that they don't work as expected. It's not their fault if your ECU's AFV isn't set the same as theirs was when they set the parameters for the fueler.

I don't know why these manufacturers don't tell us to be sure and reset our AFV when they operate in open-loop mode only.

Quick Reply: COBRA FI2000 FIRST IMPRESSIONS