Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Loading Maps

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:30 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Loading Maps

What is the miuimum labtop requirements needed to load tmax maps. What os can you get by with. Don't want to spend a lot for something I will hardly if ever use but would like to have the option to change things if needed. I have win98, xp pro, and vista home premium. Looking for bare bones, single purpose only. Any suggestions? My other option was to run 100' usb cable from the desktop to the shed, but pc guy says they cap out around 6' length and don't work well beyond that.
Ron

Old 10-20-2007, 02:58 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loading Maps

Most require at least a Pentium with 256K of memory and enough hard drive space for the program with some headroom.
Maybe the T-Max site would have the minimum listed somewhere. Do they post the software and other informationlike the DTT site does.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

From the158 page tuning manual http://www.thunder-max.com/Support/I...onManuals.aspx downloaded at Thundermax:

The Smartlink IV software is designed to run on personal computers using Microsoft Windows 2000, WinXP, and Windows Vista operating systems. The computer system must have an adequate amount of free space on the hard drive for proper operation. Smartlink IV is approximately 45MB when installed. SmartLink IV no longer supports Windows 98 or earlier operating systems.

Youmayalso need a USB to serial port adapter cable. I boughta Dynex cablefrom BestBuy that works well.

I have also packed my home PC to my building where I house my bike and setup shop with it when the Vista loaded laptop I have was acting crazy......

Old 10-20-2007, 05:48 PM
rbabos
Banned

Ultrakla$$ic: Checked it out and see what's needed. Really don't want the expense of the labtop and was wondering if the details were mentioned as to my bikes epuipment if the supplier would load the best map and autotune take it from there after install.Question is, do I really need get in there an change settings?
Ron

Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Ultrakla$$ic: Checked it out and see what's needed. Really don't want the expense of the labtop and was wondering if the details were mentioned as to my bikes epuipment if the supplier would load the best map and autotune take it from there after install.Question is, do I really need get in there an change settings?
Ron
Ron,
Tough question for a definitive answer. If I were you, I'd at least make my home pc available to use for this project. I personally can't think of a way of putting the TMax on your bike and riding without even hooking up a computer of some sort if this is what you mean.

After you receive your TMax and software, load it all up while you are connected to the internet in the house, then take the tower and monitor to the shop and load up the TMax ECM and initialize it correctly. You don't "need" a laptop, but again, I couldn't imagine doing this project without a puter.

Let me know if you need anything. Piece of cake and I haven't had to change a single setting as mine runs and adjusts fine without me tinkering with it. I did read the whole 158 page manual today at work thinking maybe I could tinker with something, but it runs perfect so nothing for me to do but ride the darn thing.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:03 PM
rbabos
Banned

Well it would be a pain in the a$$ but I guess I can handle the compute shuffle at least once. Thanks.
Ron

Old 10-20-2007, 06:08 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rbabos

Well it would be a pain in the a$$ but I guess I can handle the compute shuffle at least once. Thanks.
Ron
I know what you mean. I bought a laptop and wireless LAN setup just for this project but unbeknownst to me Vista had to freak out on me during my initial attempt at loading the TMax and I had to lug my WinXP home setup out to the shop to get it going.........................twice.[&:]